Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '94 900SS CR with the stock brembo wheels and non-adjustable forks. I'm putting on a set of SP forks, and also have to replace my speedo drive.

I read this in an informative post:

There are 3 different part numbers for the speedo drive.
49810011A f.m 012262 (to VIN number)
49810051A d.m 012263 (from VIN number)
49810071A 900SS CR

Is that correct? The lady at Ducati Omaha swore that my CR needed -0051A, but the poster above would say that's wrong.

On the bottom of the speedo drive it says 750707 (see pic, currently mounted on CR non-adjustable fork).

When I get the Showa adjustable fork on the CR, will it need a "CR" (-0071A) speedo drive or a late SP (0051A) speedo drive? I'm not sure if it's the fork, axle, or speedometer that determines which speedo drive I'll need.

Any help much appreciated! I'm starting to feel like such an anorak.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't think they are different, I have one off my CR w/ SP forks, sell it to you for $25 shipped. check my part out thread in classifieds.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,366 Posts
I'm still running the stock three spoke rims on my '95 too. I swapped out the non-adjustable CR forks for a pair of fully adjustable SP forks and the original speedo drive works just fine Nick.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have:

#748219 20mm
#748216 17mm

I think I paid $50 for the 17mm.....and $30 for the 20mm. I know I had to order the correct one (96 900ss) form a Ducati dealer that fit the stock (non-adjustable) forks. I thought I had the regular 17mm so I found one bought only to find out it didnt fit so I found a 20mm....only to realize that it was slightly different.....so I said F&%$ it, I called and order it from the Duc dealer.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the fmm # one is for 17mm axle. the dmm # one is for 20mm axle. the 900ss cr one is for 120/60 front tyre, same as a 600 and 750. well, i assume that's why, the cr had the same chassis as our 750 from what i've seen.

if you run a 60 series tyre with a 70 series speedo drive the speedo reads high. run a 70 series tyre with a 60 series speedo drive and it reads low, and you get booked.

·
Registered
322 Posts
if you run a 60 series tyre with a 70 series speedo drive the speedo reads high. run a 70 series tyre with a 60 series speedo drive and it reads low, and you get booked.[/QUOTE]

yup,happened to me:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would think there's enough difference in the overall diameter of various brands of the same size tire that you're always going to have a variance in the speedo if you're not running OEM tires. Not to mention Veglia gauges are better known as "Vague-lia" gauges . . . ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the fmm # one is for 17mm axle. the dmm # one is for 20mm axle. the 900ss cr one is for 120/60 front tyre, same as a 600 and 750. well, i assume that's why, the cr had the same chassis as our 750 from what i've seen.

if you run a 60 series tyre with a 70 series speedo drive the speedo reads high. run a 70 series tyre with a 60 series speedo drive and it reads low, and you get booked.
NAILED IT! That's the difference I couldn't work out. I run a 70. I'll get the SP speedo drive. Thanks mate!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would think there's enough difference in the overall diameter of various brands of the same size tire that you're always going to have a variance in the speedo if you're not running OEM tires. Not to mention Veglia gauges are better known as "Vague-lia" gauges . . . ;)
there is a slight difference from brand to brand of course. there is a big difference between the 2 speedo drives. mine was very accurate before i put the wrong one on.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
my 600m with the 70 series front was a pretty consistant 10% low compared to the bicycle speedo i now run on it. i figure the bike one will be 2% off at most.

i got done for 95 in an 80 zone, i thought i was doing 85 at most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts