Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically as the title suggests. I just replaced the belts on my '92 SS which of course has the flanges on the end of the cam gear pulleys. I was able to get them off and back on in decent but not great condition. (Whoever does this and keeps them nice i'd like to hear from) Anyway searching old threads revealed one member who suggested they could be left off with no harm- basically replicating the newer design. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
On my 1994ss I have removed and replaced the flange three times with no ill effects. Looks fine. I use big needle nose pliers and a small ball peen hammer. As for leaving them off, probably A-ok, I may do that next go around on the belts and see.:cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flange

Thanks. I had to bend mine a bit to get them off. I then got them flat again with the hammer. To put them back on i had to tap all the way around with a small flat head. They are not too worse for wear and it was pretty apparent the previous owner had done something similar at leat on the horizontal. I worry most about them comming off and causing damage. If you would like to be more specific about your technique with the pliers i'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have them on my '91 907 and while it's a pain I've been able to change belts without removing them (and without wasting the belt) It's been a LONG time since I changed them (The bike hasn't been ridden in years) but I seem to remember it involves removing the tensioner, not just loosening it.

That said, I would think if you leave the flange on the lower pulley you should be ok. If/when I ever put my 907 back on the road I'll probably do that.

Misc rambling - I bought a '97 900ss last summer, which hasn't got the flanges of course. In doing the "get to know me!" maintenance on it this winter I found the belts were so loose they could be slipped off by hand... yikes!

·
Registered
400 Posts
If the pulleys are running parallel, there is no reason that the belt should "walk" of the side of them. I think the covers are too close to allow this anyway.

Maybe try running without. Check the edges of the belts after awhile to see if it looks like they are making contact with the covers. If not, you are probably good to go.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flange

I agree. They are on for now and I wont (hopefully) be back in there for a while. Next time though i imagine i will leave them off and check the covers for any evidence of wandering/rubbing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just to let you know the flange on my crank pulley came off causing the belt to slip and whilst I've not been inside the head yet I assume its bent my valves.
I'd leave it on

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flange

sorry to hear that. certainly food for thought. I wonder if the belt rode off and slipped simply because the flange came off- or if the loose flange got into the belt and caused it to jump. Did you notice any evidence of belt rub on the inside of the belt cover. I think the cover fits close enough that for the belt to get off it would interfere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The belt didn't come fully off, it just moved over enough to allow it to slip.
Pic below.
The other vertical and crank pulley marks are aligned at this point so you can see the horizontal pulley is a full 180 degrees out.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm another one that leaves them on at belt replacement time('92 750ss) As was stated earlier, the tensioners have to come off and it still requires a little bit of effort, but they'll go over the flanges......Johnnymac--I can't believe that belt walked like that--was the tension on the belt still good when you pulled it apart?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah the tension was good. So good i couldn't move the belt at all to get it back on the tensioner. I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else, but then I always have had interesting problems with bikes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts