Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK - So the temptation finally got the better of me and I HAD to get the Street-Fighter (there of course were some helpful sales people involved with an irresistable offer involved - you know who you are! :)). After just a few miles through wonderful Seattle city traffic together with Bong and a few miles on the freeway I have to say this was the right choice! It's exactly what a fun bike should be.

Here she is in "raw" form

And together with Bongs SF

I decided to go for the base version - The main reason for this being that I want to redo the suspension completely - and would even want to do this if I had the full Oehlings setup.

So the planned changes are:
- Suspension front and rear - have not made up my mind yet as to exactly what...
- Exhaust - So far still pending which system I like best and which one works best...
- License plate bracket from DP to get rid of the "clutter" - Need to install
- MPL clutch slave cylinder (have used these for years)
- Open clutch cover (and possibly slipper clutch)
- CRG levers
- Spiegler foot pegs
- ...and probably a few more things that will come along in the process...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Congratulations Robert!

Be careful with that bike - she'll make you loose your license if you don't pay attention :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations Robert!

Be careful with that bike - she'll make you loose your license if you don't pay attention :)
I recall that being a bigger issue with our original 1098's - This cozy bike should be just right!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Cool! We might have to have a Streetfighter get together in Seattle before winter hits!

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Yeah, Bong has a way of making people want Ducati's! Ask me how I know!! And he ain't kidding about loosing your license. When I rode it, it was almost impossible to stay at or below the speed limit, becuase it's just tooooo fun to ride.

So, has anyone put an offset triple clamp (30 mm) on the SF? Is it needed? On my 1198S, it was definately needed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah, Bong has a way of making people want Ducati's! Ask me how I know!! And he ain't kidding about loosing your license. When I rode it, it was almost impossible to stay at or below the speed limit, becuase it's just tooooo fun to ride.

So, has anyone put an offset triple clamp (30 mm) on the SF? Is it needed? On my 1198S, it was definately needed.
So riding my 996R at Miller made an impact on you eh? ;)

Don't know about the 30mm offset triple clamp but I can tell you the SF was way more stable thru Infineon's chicane turns vs the 1098S. Must be the longer wheelbase and swingarm?

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
So riding my 996R at Miller made an impact on you eh? ;)

Don't know about the 30mm offset triple clamp but I can tell you the SF was way more stable thru Infineon's chicane turns vs the 1098S. Must be the longer wheelbase and swingarm?

Yup, that planted the seed and eventually just got me bored with I4's and wanting a Duc. Ever since the 996R ride, I've been wanting a Ducati. Almost got the 1098, but that fell through. Finally pulled the switch this last February.

I'm hoping to ride a SF some day at the track. Gotta feeling that there will probably be one in my future. Not near, but eventually.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks for the invite but took the SF back to Ducati Seattle tonight. I have noticed that with the fatducs on, some days it runs really well and then another day it runs poorly and gives me a check engine light.... As flynbulldog said before, the fatducs are a partial solution at best. Also have to go to the UK early Friday am so maybe next time.
Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
The track is where the SF REALLY shines! 3 track days down and my next this weekend! :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The upgrade - the real one

OK - aside from the exhaust system where I still can't decide on what to get I think I have the modifications done that I wanted to get done. It's amazing what difference the new suspension makes. For anyone who hasn't tried it - don't - or you'll be on your way to get it as well.

Here's what I got/installed:

Rizoma bars and CRG bar-end mirrors (folding version). The Rizoma bars are perfect if you are a bit taller and improve overall handling significantly.

CRG levers - When you install them don't forget to adjust them! Otherswise you may be in for a surprise... (see bwhip's post). All you need is a 7mm wrench and loosen the torx screw.

I took a short road-trip to Sand City, California to visit Dan Kyle and his warehouse of Ohlings goodies... The SF is luckily the same as the 1098 - so fork and rear shock are the same. Dan took the time to explain how the suspenstion "should" work and Mike did a great job installing it all. Thanks also to Liz for getting me hooked up!

So what damage did I do to my retirement fund? - Here we go...

25mm Ohlings cartridges and Ohlings steering damper. The 25mm cartridges truly transform the standard Showa fork into a great working unit with a ton of feel for the front wheel. The standard steering damper is more optical than functional... Dan Kyle did his magic and found this setup for the streetfighter. It now works as a steering damper should - Thanks Dan!!

Ohlings TTX shock - WOW - That thing is amazing! The setup options are endless. Some might say it's too much for a bike that is mainly riden on the road - I'd say try it - you'll see how good it works!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought you had a base SF. Why is the frame silver ?
It is a base SF - The frame in the pics does look silver...must be the lighting effect (bright sun light) - but it's black allright.

Here is a pic of mine and Bong's next to each other when I got it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yes i thought it was, thats fuckin nuts it looks like the older 999 silver subframe

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
That shock looks tricky as fuck , but i think i would lose a bollock if i bought one of those at the mo....:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts