Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK now I want to get a ramp for my trailer. I got the HF trailer and it's about 2 feet I guess off the ground. Is there some formula for figuring out how long a ramp you need to comfortably get your bike up a ramp. I'm a short person so it's a bit tough for me if I have to stand on the ground then hop up on the trailer. I guess a stepstool or something. :)

Anyway I was thinking of this 4 foot ramp. It's cheap $39, before shipping, and can fold up to save space. Which is important as I plan on storing it in my car when traveling. I don't trust myself with a piece of wood not secured to the trailer but that would be a cheap way to go. If someone has some good ideas on the ramp thing, fire away.

http://www.ramp-kit.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=6

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the ramp is to steep you can bottom out your fairing on the back of the trailer so it is a good idea to do a little pre planning. (see attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but how do you figure if it will hit or not. And if it will bottom out is not the only factor. I want to make sure it's not so steep I have a hard time loading it because of me being vertically challenged.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought this thing called ( Ramp Champ ). And theres a website
on the box. www.highlandusa.com . The thing works great, it's a
big yellow ramp that extends pretty far. And it's got a strap to
secure itself, and rubber to stick to the truckbed. I used it a couple
of times all by myself. But I'm kinda big, better with two people.
No need to worry about lower fairing either. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
just buy a 2X8 and it'll be fine!...hang it of the back of the trailer with a red flag and you'll be covered like a jimmy hat....

but seriously...maybe look at one of those nice 3 way folding ramps that act as a bed extender contaiment unit....and then you can use it creatively as a framework for the front of the trailer with some cotter pins to secure it in place for travel!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I posted(the 4 foot one) when it folds up is only 10" by 17". That is compact for a ramp.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
grendels_arm said:
The one I posted(the 4 foot one) when it folds up is only 10" by 17". That is compact for a ramp.
I believe a 4' ramp is too short and thus too steep. I had the same problem and fixed it when I went with a longer ramp. Kind of funny, but when I first bought my single rail trailer, I loaded my Supersport on it without any problems, but getting the bike off was another matter. I had no instruction as to proper unloading techniques, I simply got on the machine in the riding position and rolled it backwards off the trailer. It really got dicy for a moment when my feet left the support of the trailer, I literally rode the bike backwards down the ramp. I did this twice before I realized it was out of control and dangerous to unload that way. Ultimately I learned how to unload the bike (Jim at Nichols taught me) and with a longer ramp it was a piece of cake. I'm now styling with an enclosed trailer with ramp and Baxley Chocks, a dream machine indeed!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking for something cheap and i can get a nice 6 foot one but it's only 12" wide. I'd like one I can walk down with the bike.

·
Registered
407 Posts
grendels_arm said:
OK now I want to get a ramp for my trailer. I got the HF trailer and it's about 2 feet I guess off the ground. Is there some formula for figuring out how long a ramp you need to comfortably get your bike up a ramp. I'm a short person so it's a bit tough for me if I have to stand on the ground then hop up on the trailer. I guess a stepstool or something. :)

Anyway I was thinking of this 4 foot ramp. It's cheap $39, before shipping, and can fold up to save space. Which is important as I plan on storing it in my car when traveling. I don't trust myself with a piece of wood not secured to the trailer but that would be a cheap way to go. If someone has some good ideas on the ramp thing, fire away.

http://www.ramp-kit.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=6

I bought a set of the ramp-kit ramps. Nice & wide with the bend for easy loading. Bit of a PITA putting it together and it's a bit heavy but for the price - great value.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
407 Posts
grendels_arm said:
Yeah for one ramp though it's $59. That's for the 6 foot. Plus $23 to ship to me in Virginia. Still isn't wide enough for me to walk up as well. I saw this type on eBay but they are only 10" wide. But you get two and therefore can walk up one while the bike goes up the other.
I got the set (2) of the 8' folding steel/alum 16" wide ones. More room than you really need but it makes solo work quite easy... They ARE heavy but the extra width is really nice!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The folding 3 piece one is nice too. The thing I don't like is paying $100 for a freaking ramp. I wonder if I can just get a couple 6 foot long 2X12's. One for me and one for the bike. As long as there is a way of securing them to the trailer and if they can hold the weight of the bike. This should work. Though 6 foot is getting up there to fit in the car.

Multi-purpose Aluminum
76" long x 49" wide with 6" cross bar spacing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
grendels_arm said:
The folding 3 piece one is nice too. The thing I don't like is paying $100 for a freaking ramp. I wonder if I can just get a couple 6 foot long 2X12's. One for me and one for the bike. As long as there is a way of securing them to the trailer and if they can hold the weight of the bike. This should work. Though 6 foot is getting up there to fit in the car.

Multi-purpose Aluminum
76" long x 49" wide with 6" cross bar spacing.
Spend the $$$ - you'll be glad you did... 2x12's are f'in heavy and a pain to deal with... and they're slippery when damp or wet.

The ramp-kit stuff is really inexpensive since you supply the labor putting it together - you'll be able to sell it in a ew years for more than you originally paid. I was going to sell the second ramp becuase it was wide enogh that I didn't need both. I was offered more for the one ramp than I paid for both... I ended up keeping them both though - 2 make things really easy.

That 3-way folding 49" wide model would be awesome, especially for a p/up.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weight of the ramps isn't really light either.

What about the one I showed you links to on eBay and that site. Only "bad" thing is only 10" width. But you could put them together as they mention and that's 20" wide. After shipping it would be $90 compared to say $130 for the ramp-kit ones.

·
Registered
107 Posts
See post under " does trailer have to be level". Should have posted in this thread.

·
Registered
407 Posts
grendels_arm said:
The weight of the ramps isn't really light either.

What about the one I showed you links to on eBay and that site. Only "bad" thing is only 10" width. But you could put them together as they mention and that's 20" wide. After shipping it would be $90 compared to say $130 for the ramp-kit ones.

I like have 2 ramps - I don't put them together, rather, keep them about a foot or so apart. One is for the bike and the other is for me to walk up/down while loading/unloading. Works really well and as I mentioned, I am often by myself - especially unloading.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I got the 7 foot ramp-kit arching ramps that are 12" wide. I'll deal with the space or mount on my trailer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
2' is awfully tall for a bike trailer. can you mount the spring shackles under the axel and drop the trailer 6 more inches. i did that on my single ramp trailer and it made the bike easier to push up on the trailer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts