Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the freakin spring back on the center stand? I've got a spring puller, albeit a small one, and I just can't get the leverage and the position to get the thing back on.

Help!

One desperate Ducati dude.

·
Registered
477 Posts
When I removed mine to re-install I put spring on the stand first, used the stand itself for leverage, pulled back caught right side screw first then the left side. I put painters tape on the left side case and parts that the stand could rub on while it was a bit forward. Was not to difficult to do but a 2nd pair of hands would have helped. Good luck

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
When I removed mine to re-install I put spring on the stand first, used the stand itself for leverage, pulled back caught right side screw first then the left side. I put painters tape on the left side case and parts that the stand could rub on while it was a bit forward. Was not to difficult to do but a 2nd pair of hands would have helped. Good luck
= eleventy billion.

it's a bitch getting the springs back on.

i trust you notched out the skid plate rear mounting holes, so you can remove the skid plate to change the oil, remove oil filter and pre-filter ... without having to remove the center stand?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Make a spring puller out of some thin cable or strong cord. After 10 minutes of dicking around I got mine back on and noticed that the skinny inner spring wasn't connected...I made a puller and now it's fairly easy.

You can also use a pair of vice grips and a hook, but it's still not easy.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,299 Posts
I fold the centerstand up, which makes it much easier, then hold the stand up with my foot while I attach the springs. I just use a pair of needle nose pliers, and it's about a 10 second operation for both springs. :confused:

·
Registered
477 Posts
= eleventy billion.

it's a bitch getting the springs back on.

i trust you notched out the skid plate rear mounting holes, so you can remove the skid plate to change the oil, remove oil filter and pre-filter ... without having to remove the center stand?
No, I just leave it off until I go touring somewhere. Its not that difficult to do once you've done it a few times

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
This technique I found is the easiest and you can do it alone but it's much easier with two people.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I fold the centerstand up, which makes it much easier, then hold the stand up with my foot while I attach the springs. I just use a pair of needle nose pliers, and it's about a 10 second operation for both springs. :confused:
+1 needlenose pliers work for me

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
198 Posts
Use a cable or zip tie. Fold the centre stand up, wedge it in place and make a loop with the zip tie. Hook it over the spring and pull!
I brace myself against the bike to save dragging it backwards.

·
Premium Member
12,115 Posts
SLOT the belly pan...post 3

No?
put spring on first...post 2
No?

Or do it the hard way...over and over again...

Whatever works for you...

·
Registered
222 Posts
This.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
419 Posts
1. get a piece of 3/8 rod, about a foot long
2. on a grinding wheel, make a groove up the rod about 1" long (along, not around)
3. make sure the spring holder on the center stand fits in the groove you just made.
4. put the springs over the rod, then put the grooved end of the rod on the center stand.
5. push or pull the rod so the springs stretch, then slide down the rod onto the center stand. Careful the rod doesn't twist, or it will flop off the center stand.
6. remove the rod. The springs are on the center stand.

That works on my sw motech center stand- can't see why it wouldn't work on the stocker.

I bet this is the same idea that Bicep has with the brake spring tool.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I took mine off to powder coat my belly and side covers. What I did to get it back on was back the bike up against a stop. I then put the stand on I believe the left side first and attached the springs. At this point it was to twisted to line up the right side holes. I took a tie down ratchet strap and hooked it to the right side of the stand and attached the other end to my truck(which was acting as my back stop) and a couple of clicks on the strap and it all lined up and went in drama free. My springs are wayyy too tight to dream about doing by hand. The one thing to be careful about is making sure the bike is backed up to something solid or you will winch it backwards with the strap trying to get things lined up.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That works on my sw motech center stand- can't see why it wouldn't work on the stocker.
What's the advantage of the SW Motech center stand over the stocker?

Does it eliminate the left heel issue?

I have the stocker off the bike and out for the shortening mod, and I can tell you that on a ride yesterday, not having anything under my left heel was a joy.

Just one less distraction when pretending I am really am a SBK pro. :)

Also ... more kudos for this great bike. Was chuckling to myself passing some sport bikes in the hills yesterday at the thought of them wondering, WTH kind of big white bus (side and top cases mounted) just blew past me???!!! :confused:

Yeah, this thing has its faults, but, damn, it's the quickest "bagger" around. :)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took mine off to powder coat my belly and side covers. What I did to get it back on was back the bike up against a stop. I then put the stand on I believe the left side first and attached the springs. At this point it was to twisted to line up the right side holes. I took a tie down ratchet strap and hooked it to the right side of the stand and attached the other end to my truck(which was acting as my back stop) and a couple of clicks on the strap and it all lined up and went in drama free. My springs are wayyy too tight to dream about doing by hand. The one thing to be careful about is making sure the bike is backed up to something solid or you will winch it backwards with the strap trying to get things lined up.
I was comtemplating something like this and will give this a shot.

Thanks Yankee.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts