Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the friggen rubber gasket on the fuel cap cup ?
1999 900ss
the fuel cup that installs into the tank that the actual fuel cap bolts into. There is a (green) o-ring that installs into the groove on the fuel cap cup and the gasket that “seals” the cup to the tank , it’s visible, the black ring around the cup.
as you can see in the pic it’s barely big enough to go over the “center” of the cup much less the wider outer lip and stay in place to install the cup.

Any /all assistance will be greatly appreciated!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,327 Posts
It can be a PITA.
Leave that ring off at the moment.
Press the fuel cap into the tank until there is barely enough gap between the tank and the cap to get the ring in.
Then insert it. The close gap prevents it from flipping and flapping around.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Think of it like putting on a condom......ya gotta stretch it out a bit. 😁

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's a complete pain in the arse. Stretch it over and just gently keep on rubbing it so that is stays on there. It wants to snap off, so you gotta be careful when you put the flange in. The flange doesn't really want to go in either, so you may want to lube the rim a bit. If you get that far, and the flange is sort of in place, make sure that you press the flange all the way down, and keep it that way while putting those little screws in from the side. Since I got my bike last year, I had to do this three times, and I actually like doing it now, because, boy, it's really satisfying!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lube...

Soak it in hot water. It took me several days until I did it correctly. Then I found out I aligned the cap incorrectly so now the latch points to 2 o’clock. It’s my new normal.

·
Registered
870 Posts
So you have come across one of the most annoying tasks associated with Supersport, and other Ducati ownership. The good news is you got the cap carrier out without issue. Many report it stuck / rusted and have a lot of fun getting it out. I believe that Punch provided you the simplest approach to doing this job. When I did it I put a thin ring of larger diameter cardboard under the gasket and then tore it out when the carrier was almost seated. It worked but I think Punch's approach is simpler. Make sure you have the rotational position where you want it prior to pressing in as you don't want to do it again if you can help it.

I would lubricate the green Viton O-ring prior to re-installation. Use petroleum jelly or some other lube that is compatible with fuel. By the way, the purpose of the black gasket is to keep water and debris out from the gap between the carrier and the tank. The Viton O-ring provides the actual sealing. Have fun

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to ALL ! So for now the cup is installed with only the o-ring ( with o-ring lube). I’m in hopes of changing the cap at some point to a non locking style , so I’ll not worry about the water seal for now. The bright side is that the bike started and ran well all on its own for the first time in 3 years! not just on spray, with fuel on tank and idles and did what it was supposed to! Cheers to me !
Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The worst job on these Ducati's. As others have said, get it to where you are now first, then stretch it around pushing down into the gap slowly and with patience. I use two small hard nylon sticks I found somewhere to pry it in. They look kind of like paint can openers but made of nylon rather than metal, so I think that is what they are. I used water pump lube for pool filters because its what I had, a lot like Vaseline.

I have done this four times now, and the last time was easiest I think, because I used a new one from Ducati Omaha. The old original ones do not stretch easily, best $25 I have spent on the bike.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
... you'll end up putting a LOT of money in the swear jar .... much phooey and even some hooey will shoot from thou face, rousting the anger of one's grandmother. Much soap shall be put in thoust mouth, for the amount of caca slung whilst taking on such tasks can sully a man's reputation as a gentleman, and test the moral net worth of any man.

it's a right fucking nuisance, it is!! ... that's for true!

:)

Joking around aside, I wonder if soaking the old one in brake fluid before reinstallation might help with the process? I say ~brake fluid~ because one of the tricks some used vehicle sales yards will use to stop old valve seals from leaking (causing smoking) is to put a small amount of brake fluid in the engine oil (like a tablespoon or something). The brake fluid softens certain seals, causing them to swell a wee bit, and stopping the smoking engine.

I wonder if softening the old fuel tank seal with a bit of brake fluid would help with the task of putting it back into place?

CAUTION: I've no idea if the brake fluid thing continues to attack the seal after it's been cleaned off. I've no idea if there is a chemical "stopper" that will stop the breakdown of the seal by the brake fluid. It may just end the reaction by itself once enough of it has been absorbed by the seal. Then again, maybe not!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,327 Posts
... you'll end up putting a LOT of money in the swear jar .... much phooey and even some hooey will shoot from thou face, rousting the anger of one's grandmother. Much soap shall be put in thoust mouth, for the amount of caca slung whilst taking on such tasks can sully a man's reputation as a gentleman, and test the moral net worth of any man.

it's a right fucking nuisance, it is!! ... that's for true!

:)
Not if he follows the simple instructions based on experience.

Reactions: JAFA

·
Registered
870 Posts
You will not have to remove the cap carrier to install a non-locking cap. The old one unscrews from the carrier and the new one screws down to it. I would counsel you against leaving the gasket off as you will get dirt and water / condensation in the gap that will eventually lead to rust making removal of the carrier very difficult next time. There will be a next time unfortunately when you have to change the filter or pump. My OEM pump worked for 25 years. The one I replaced it with; 3.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
So back when I was in motorcycle mechanics school we had to tear a spoke wheel apart and re-assemble it and make it true in under an hour. Some kid was a bike mechanic and was laughing at us for a good 45 minutes as it only took him about 15 to do the job. Now I hear all of you complaining about putting a couple of tank seals in a gas tank I know what he was laughing about. After you do the same job often multiple times a week you realize it ain't so bad....lol

·
Registered
870 Posts
Very true Ducvet; but boy that first time can be a bitch... especially for us amateurs. When I was a kid I had an MG with wire wheels that badly needed some truing. Where I lived there was no one who could do it, so I gave it a shot. At least I didn't make it worse :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Use a hair dryer or heat gun on the seal to soften it up. Then stretch it over the cap mounting surface.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lube...

Soak it in hot water. It took me several days until I did it correctly. Then I found out I aligned the cap incorrectly so now the latch points to 2 o’clock. It’s my new normal.
Same here. Mine is off by about 5 degrees and it annoys me to no end. Just not enough to go through the pain of removing it and reinstalling it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my carbie, I had the same issue. In the end, it turned out that the black O-ring was either upside down or turned in 90 degrees.

Anyway, once I figured out which way was up, it went right in.

That was a humbling moment, but I’m glad I figured it out before I started wielding the BFH!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Interesting methods in here....

Mine is pretty basic but it seems to work ok.

Lube the green O-ring liberally with rubber grease, leave all the grub screws in the sump but backed out far enough so they're not protruding at all.
The black trim seal goes on easy enough, it's tight but don't lube it at all, just put it on and start at 12 o'clock and using both hands locate it evenly on both sides until you get all the way down to 6 o'clock and it should be in place, then CAREFULLY place the sump into the tank and push down evenly with your thumbs, it will seat rather easily. don't let go though as it will pop back out, screw in a couple of grub screws and you're away.
I use a wax pencil and install the cap first so i can use the hinge to mark the tank so i have a reference for correct orientation, i hate it not being square!

It can be a bastard.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts