Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the 4 bolts on top of each cylinder because they seemed to be emitting an oily, almost sticky goo. I am not sure if that is some kind of normal silicone type stuff Ducati might use for those nuts? It seems to be coming from all 8 bolts. It's only a small amount though.

Just seeing if this is typical or if I should be calling Ducati asap. I am not familiar enough with Ducati's or this engine to know. thanks in advance!

I just hit 530 miles on my sport 1000.

·
Registered
242 Posts
dunno if it is abnormal, but i have the same thing on mine, and the folks checking her out at DucatiSeattle havent mentioned any concern.

·
Registered
724 Posts
So far my bolts looks fine....:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine does it.
I think it's concentrate ethylene glycol seeping through porosity in the head as it's sweet and the same colour as the coolant.
Check your fluids and make sure nothing is dropping or leaking into one another, and check for exhaust gasses in your overflow tank.
I've run mine for about 6000Km since I bought it with the same problem and no adverse effects.
But if it's under warranty, I'd take it back and get it sorted.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Mine does it.
I think it's concentrate ethylene glycol seeping through porosity in the head as it's sweet and the same colour as the coolant.
Ethylene glycol as in antifreeze? I note you ride a 748 so this should have antifreeze in the coolant system (water-cooled). The Sports Classics are air-cooled so even though they have oil coolers, I don't think they use ethylene glycol in the oil. I've had many air-cooled bikes & have never used ethylene glycol in any of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
:eek:

I'll step away from this thread before I make a further fool of myself.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I only wish my heads looked as purty as yours. By a few thousand miles the paint on my heads melted, cracked, and yellowed beyond recognition. The only way to clean it up was by taking it off with brake cleaner, all the way down to the aluminum, which I have done in some places. If/when I ever get head work done they're getting stripped.

The slight oozing you see around the bolts is nothing to worry about. Probably just a little left over assembly grease, etc. It will not get worse.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have noticed the same and wiped it off without thinking much about it. I am with Dietrich on this. Keep riding and smiling.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I only wish my heads looked as purty as yours. By a few thousand miles the paint on my heads melted, cracked, and yellowed beyond recognition. The only way to clean it up was by taking it off with brake cleaner, all the way down to the aluminum, which I have done in some places. If/when I ever get head work done they're getting stripped.

The slight oozing you see around the bolts is nothing to worry about. Probably just a little left over assembly grease, etc. It will not get worse.
I believe it is called cosmoline, it's all over my engine. When the bike heats up, it starts to ooz out. If you clean it while it's still warm, most will come off, wait until it cools and that will be a different story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts