Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an engine. I found one the other day so I went to check it out. The bike is a salvage due to a 'tip over' but it looks like it's been dropped more than once on each side. The external damage is very minor but still visible, it looks like the clutch cover took the brunt of the fall. It started cold without problems and seems to run strong after taking it for a 5 minute spin around the block. The things that don't make me feel good about the internals:
- it was self maintained and has 13K, no receipts for anything
- looking through the oil level window you can't see any oil. It is completely clogged by very dark green goo.

Is it worth taking to a shop so it can be professionally inspected? The price at this point is what you would expect to get a used engine for on ebay.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The dark greem gooe sounds like condensation that formed in the crank case and mixxed with the oil.
I would ask for the owner to prefrom an oil change and see how it is after or take it to a reputable mechanic and hsve him/her do a once over. The money spent on a quick inspecation is worth it if they find that the bike is not right.

[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I eventually found a few threads discussing this and it appears that the consensus is that it is water/oil mix. I think this makes sense since the bike has been sitting in the garage for quite a while without being driven. None the less, I'll take it to a shop for a check up.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Interesting user name-panzermonkey, tankmonkey? do you operate a tank?It's just condensation in the glass that's all. It looks milky and green sometimes but it will clear up after a good run. It will come back after changing the oil, won't hurt though...it the cold weather!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
One point worth noting is try to find out if it was running while on it's side if you can? Reason I ask is because if it ran while on it's side, it had oil starvation....in other words, it was sucking air and it only takes a brief moment to spin a bearing without oil.....trust me, I know what I'm talking about as I had it happen to me only to find out the hard way! As for the "green goo", yes chances are likly it's the radiator fluid mixing with the oil which isnt good either! Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eh, long story about the name but no, I've never operated a tank.

The thing is that I have never seen this on my bike and I live in the same area as the other bike owner.

Can you starve the crank by running the engine on a kick stand? Or do you mean when it was down?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Eh, long story about the name but no, I've never operated a tank.

The thing is that I have never seen this on my bike and I live in the same area as the other bike owner.

Can you starve the crank by running the engine on a kick stand? Or do you mean when it was down?

When the bike was laying on it's side after a crash. Running the bike on the kick stand is fine. It cost me $1500.00 and I removed it from the bike!

·
Registered
245 Posts
there is a good chance the oil just has some condensation in it, but the other possibility, as stated above, is that coolant is leaking into the oil. i would definitly ensure that this isnt the case before buying the motor. condensation usually makes the oil appear milky, green says coolant to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Milky white is likely normal condensation, however I agree that milky green sounds like coolant mixed in the oil. Not good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts