Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
300V is a race oil, not a long life oil like 15/50 5100. Suitable for track days but needs changing out quite frequently for a road oil. Down here 300V retails for about $140....5100 for $76
Yeah, I change it quite often, hence the sticker shock this time - up 30% in just a few months. I'm looking at other options.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you're changing oil every 1000 miles, you're wasting $$$ on the 'expensive' stuff, but it's YOUR $$$. After doing numerous UOA's, I'm changing oil every 5000 miles....using Amsoil.

·
Registered
357 Posts
$87.00 DIY oil changes (sans filter no less!)? .... pfft .. not having it! I'm afraid I find myself siding with Member *oxidefilm's attitude on this.

Indeed, it doesn’t make sense on an ongoing basis.

In my case, I have a leaking sump plate, an engine with 3k-ish miles on it from the last change, some 300V left over (but not enough for a full change) and so I thought I’d use it up rather than simply toss it and revisit next time around. Revisit is now this oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
How often and why?

Actually, in terms of time frequency, not that often, once a year. In terms of mileage, it depends how long summer lasts and whether I do a trip or two. Averaged over 6 years, it comes out around 3.5k miles. Some years it’s more, some it’s less. The current change is forced because of the leak, unless I just refill with existing and top off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
... Everything went just fine (other than having to stab through the old filter with a screw driver to loosen it)...
I have never put on an oil filter using other than my hand, as in hand-tight. Never. Motorcycles, cars, trucks, tractors. Never, ever had a filter work itself loose or an oil leak with a hand tightened filter. And when it's time to change the filter they come off without a battle.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
17,896 Posts
I have never put on an oil filter using other than my hand, as in hand-tight. Never. Motorcycles, cars, trucks, tractors. Never, ever had a filter work itself loose or an oil leak with a hand tightened filter. And when it's time to change the filter they come off without a battle.

I used to say that. Until I tried using OEM Ducati screw on filters. On all three of my Duc’s they leaked unless mega tight and then they were hell to remove. Solution was to stop using the OEM filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys! does anyone know where to find the connector to reset the service oil warning????

Where is located??

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
How many oxidefilms it take to change a lightbulb?

When changing an oil filter make sure to fill the filter with the new oil and put some of the new oil on the rubber gasket before tightening. Then you can hand tighten with additional quarter turn with wrench and next time the filter will come off with no problems.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
How many oxidefilms it take to change a lightbulb?

When changing an oil filter make sure to fill the filter with the new oil and put some of the new oil on the rubber gasket before tightening.
I use old oil on the gasket, I think I got that tip from LT Snyder's manual. Changing a light bulb isn't such a straight forward thing I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What a tip! I never would have thought of that if it hadn't been standard procedure while changing oil filters since...forever.

I said I was changing the oil on my Multi for the first time. Not changing oil for the first time.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts