Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in my '15 multi today. I bought the ridiculous $15/quart oil Ducati demands. Everything went just fine (other than having to stab through the old filter with a screw driver to loosen it) until time came to refill the engine.

The filler hole is so small that you can only use a tiny funnel. But, that funnel is basically useless because the space inside the hole is so small that the funnel cant rest there.

And then there's the oil itself. You'd think for $15/quart, shell would put it in a vessel that made it possible to pour without oil snaking over the lip of the opening and running down the bottle.

AND, the oil is so thick that you can only pour it in at a trickle lest if gurgle out and run down all over the engine case...AND pouring that slowly only exacerbates the aforementioned snaking issue.

I've never seen oil defy the laws of gravity and physics before. Even when I was dripping oil from one container to another to consolidate the leftovers it would fly out the top of the draining bottle even with it leaning at 45 degrees.

End of rant.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Shoulda used a filter socket for oem filter.

Not sure why you’re having so much trouble filling with oil. I did mine last week sans issues.

Ensure you torque the new filter to 11nm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Haven't ran into issues adding oil, and my new to me 2015 is getting it's 18,000 mile desmo service in a week, so...I haven't run into much of that.

I feel your pain on that $15 a quart thing.

I've bought 2 quarts so far and both of them were leaky when I got them. WTH!?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I love my 95' 916, but I wouldn't trade my multistrada for anything.

You're missing out.
Nah .... I'm not into computer controlled bikes .... or massive payments ... or high buck insurance costs .... or 500+ pound bikes. Been there, done that, finished with it.

Besides, if I don't buy a multi that leaves more for you fellas! Win Win!

:wink2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I changed the oil in my '15 multi today. I bought the ridiculous $15/quart oil Ducati demands. Everything went just fine (other than having to stab through the old filter with a screw driver to loosen it) until time came to refill the engine.

The filler hole is so small that you can only use a tiny funnel. But, that funnel is basically useless because the space inside the hole is so small that the funnel cant rest there.

And then there's the oil itself. You'd think for $15/quart, shell would put it in a vessel that made it possible to pour without oil snaking over the lip of the opening and running down the bottle.

AND, the oil is so thick that you can only pour it in at a trickle lest if gurgle out and run down all over the engine case...AND pouring that slowly only exacerbates the aforementioned snaking issue.

I've never seen oil defy the laws of gravity and physics before. Even when I was dripping oil from one container to another to consolidate the leftovers it would fly out the top of the draining bottle even with it leaning at 45 degrees.

End of rant.
None of this is the fault of the bike, or the oil

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Seems like Ducati could have done a little better job of designing the oil filler, dontcha think ? Could have given the task to a junior engineer. In general the oil filler area is kind of an afterthought, it’s not just Ducati. As far as buying $15 a quart oil, Ducati makes a deal with an oil company for branding the stuff. It’s your fault if you pay the price.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I've used an ATF funnel for lots of motorcycles for over 20 years. I tie it to a frame rail or body panel while filling. Great for a Goldwing too.

I usually don't go grab it if I have to top a bike up later, so some runs down the side of the bottle. So I grab a rag with the bottle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use a red line oil funnel that is small and has curves... rests fine on every Duc I've changed oil on

·
Registered
211 Posts
The oil wholesaler that I use for Aviation lubricants in Minnesota, stocks the Shell Advance 10-40 and 15-50 oils.
$88.00 per case of 12.

Uli

·
Registered
357 Posts
The oil wholesaler that I use for Aviation lubricants in Minnesota, stocks the Shell Advance 10-40 and 15-50 oils.
$88.00 per case of 12.

Uli
Well damn, 4 litres of Motul 300V 15W50 just hit $79 on Amazon, $87 with tax. It was $60 at the end of May.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Seems like Ducati could have done a little better job of designing the oil filler, dontcha think ? Could have given the task to a junior engineer. In general the oil filler area is kind of an afterthought, it’s not just Ducati. As far as buying $15 a quart oil, Ducati makes a deal with an oil company for branding the stuff. It’s your fault if you pay the price.
Can't blame the manufacturer for lack of mechanical skill or using the wrong tools. Also, many people also don't understand the proper technique for pouring from a container with the opening to one side, i.e. opening up not down

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Simple jobs shouldn’t require special technique, or tools, especially when it’s easily avoidable. Ducati obviously never gave a rats ass how long maintenance takes, hence $800 service charges . If you really think the oil filler is a good design and couldn’t have been made any better, you’re welcome to that opinion. I see it differently.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Simple jobs shouldn’t require special technique, or tools, especially when it’s easily avoidable. Ducati obviously never gave a rats ass how long maintenance takes, hence $800 service charges . If you really think the oil filler is a good design and couldn’t have been made any better, you’re welcome to that opinion. I see it differently.
None of this makes any sense at all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What was meant to be a cheeky complaint thread about my comical frustrations about changing the oil really took a turn.

I realize it may be unpopular to challenge the great god Ducati in any form on this forum but take it easy with the 'you don't know how to pour oil' and 'It's your fault because you didn't buy the special, proprietary tool for doing the routine thing that every internal combustion engine EVER MADE requires.'

·
Registered
986 Posts
What was meant to be a cheeky complaint thread about my comical frustrations about changing the oil really took a turn.

I realize it may be unpopular to challenge the great god Ducati in any form on this forum but take it easy with the 'you don't know how to pour oil' and 'It's your fault because you didn't buy the special, proprietary tool for doing the routine thing that every internal combustion engine EVER MADE requires.'

It appears you don’t understand the importance of getting the torque right on these filters.

I tried the dumbass way without using a torque wrench and the filter loosened and leaked oil. Not safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well damn, 4 litres of Motul 300V 15W50 just hit $79 on Amazon, $87 with tax. It was $60 at the end of May.
300V is a race oil, not a long life oil like 15/50 5100. Suitable for track days but needs changing out quite frequently for a road oil. Down here 300V retails for about $140....5100 for $76

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Repeating myself here .....

Makes me love my '96 900CR all the more. I buy 5qt. jugs of Mobile 1 15w/50 for $22.00 bucks. You poor Multi bastards ... I feel for ya!

:grin2:
Supporting information by our own Member *Chuckracer ...

Slightly off topic (but how can you not be in these threads): I have seen first hand the insides of several Ducati 748 race bikes at half-season running Motul 300V (via sponsorship) and the following year, Mobil 1 (bought and paid for).
The 300V motors were due for a rebuild, the Mobil 1 motors looked and measured brand new inside.
Chuck's quote taken from this thread:

LINK = https://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/74198-case-using-mobil-1-15w-50-automobile-oil-motorcycle.html

I don't know if it matters to anyone here, but that thread has a deeply informative opening post. I don't claim to know shit-ass about Multistradas, but I know "factory bullshit" when I smell it. You don't need to spend big bucks on oil if you're going to change it out every 1,000 miles ... you'll get just as good protection from far less costly engine oil if you're going to change it out so frequently.

$87.00 DIY oil changes (sans filter no less!)? .... pfft .. not having it! I'm afraid I find myself siding with Member *oxidefilm's attitude on this.

Are these engines that damned fragile and particular? I just don't buy it. I can't help but feel some of this stuff people are saying about excessively frequent oil changes with high dollar oil is grossly overstated. It's a liquid cooled internal combustion engine ... does it really require such babying? No.

"there are lies, damned lies, and then there are manufacturer's specifications" (said by one of the wisest Englishmen I've ever acquainted myself with, named Graham ... from his mouth directly to my own ears).

:wink2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts