Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carby SS, 1996: What temperature does the oil gauge normally settle at during highway riding?

My bike is new to me and I need a reference. The weather is going to start warming up in the next couple of months and I want to know what is normal/acceptable. I plan to do the 848 oil cooler mod fairly soon because I reckon i’ll need that here.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Mine runs around the 100 C mark. A bit higher (110-120) if giving it a bit and it's a hot day. A lot higher in slow traffic.

Reactions: Hot Air

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
In Dubai an oil cooler mod would be a good thing. I’d also use full synthetic oil in a higher viscosity. Make sure you keep the cooler clean. They don’t work well when dirty. An open clutch cover will run cooler if dust isn’t a big issue. CR Half fairings rather than full fairings will be cooler for the engine and you. Make sure your jetting isn’t lean, a lean engine will run hotter. A engine in good tune will run cooler, especially the timing being right. You might try a cooler range spark plug too.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
generally the answer is hotter than you expect.

putting an oil temp gauge on an air cooled bike was a great idea. people would come in extremely upset as to how hot their new bike was running and then typically not listen to our response because, well, you know, the dealership mechanics are morons aren't they.

stripping the paint off the cooler will help too. a black cooler is only helpful in a zero airflow situation, and any paint will hurt its ability to transfer heat.

·
Registered
395 Posts
stripping the paint off the cooler will help too. a black cooler is only helpful in a zero airflow situation, and any paint will hurt its ability to transfer heat.
That's a great tip; I wondered why some were raw finish and some painted. Gonna go out to garage and do it now.

Cheers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine runs around the 100 C mark. A bit higher (110-120) if giving it a bit and it's a hot day. A lot higher in slow traffic.
Thanks SteveB. I went out yesterday afternoon, OAT approx 28C and rode moderately hard with about 10km of motorway cruising at 120-140kph on my way home. The oil temp seemed to settle at about 110-120C. That seems in keeping with what you said.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Dubai an oil cooler mod would be a good thing. I’d also use full synthetic oil in a higher viscosity. Make sure you keep the cooler clean. They don’t work well when dirty. An open clutch cover will run cooler if dust isn’t a big issue. CR Half fairings rather than full fairings will be cooler for the engine and you. Make sure your jetting isn’t lean, a lean engine will run hotter. A engine in good tune will run cooler, especially the timing being right. You might try a cooler range spark plug too.
Thanks duc96, Motul 4T, check. Oil cooler clean, check (and paint stripped). Open clutch cover, check. I only have the full fairings but I like those. Jetting, soon to be done (FCR 41’s on order and being set up for our hot conditions). Timing, on the list of “to do”.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
generally the answer is hotter than you expect.

putting an oil temp gauge on an air cooled bike was a great idea. people would come in extremely upset as to how hot their new bike was running and then typically not listen to our response because, well, you know, the dealership mechanics are morons aren't they.

Thanks bradblack, Nice to know. I thought it seemed hot, which is what made me ask you guys. From above comments and yours I now know what is normal.

Regarding stripping the paint off the cooler. Did that last week. It had chunks of paint falling off so I stripped it back to the bare metal. I gave it a light sand so it has a brushed metal finish. It looks quite good. I thought about the merits of paint vs no paint. Came to the same conclusion you just posted. Cheers!

P.s. I am just about to get hold of an 848/1098 oil cooler because I think I will need the greater cooling capacity out here in the desert.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Thanks duc96, Motul 4T, check. Oil cooler clean, check (and paint stripped). Open clutch cover, check. I only have the full fairings but I like those. Jetting, soon to be done (FCR 41’s on order and being set up for our hot conditions). Timing, on the list of “to do”.
You are SO going to enjoy those carbs. ;) Lol - even though one of the main problems they cure (carb icing) - wouldn't be a problem where you are anyway.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Regarding stripping the paint off the cooler. Did that last week. It had chunks of paint falling off so I stripped it back to the bare metal. I gave it a light sand so it has a brushed metal finish. It looks quite good. I thought about the merits of paint vs no paint. t.
Big mistake hottie; now you won't want to put the fairing back on :smile2:.

Looks good BTW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts