Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil temp gauge on my 900FE appears to have a problem. While riding the temp will drop from say 100 to almost 0 and then pop back up again slowly. This happens intermittently so I presume either the sensor is bad or loose, problem is I don’t know where the sensor is.

Can anyone tell me, or provide a pic, or where the sensor is? Or if you have different opinions please let me know.

Ths.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
follow the wire - it should end at the oil screen-filter located at the right side/bottom of the crankcase. you prolly have some dirt or oil that is causing the blade-type connector at the end of the wire from getting a good connection/reading from the oil screen-filter bolt to which it is attached.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This happened to my 97' SP. I bet it's the clip onto the temp. guage at the bottom of the engine case.: or it could be the sensor itself. It was a pretty cheap part to replace... about $50. The sensor is under the sight glass.

K

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thxs for the info, now I know where it is I can look for a loose connection.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine went intermittent last year, same symptoms as yours. I checked the wire & cleaned up the connector which helped some. Then one day it was working ok, has been since. Funny, the same thing happened with my tach. I was all set to replace the cable and it started working again!? Ghosts in the machine :)

BTW, I don't pay much attention to the oil temp gauge. They shoulda put on a pressure gauge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
oil temp

I had this problem on my 2003 1000 supersport. it started with the gauge reading ok, then it would jump and read low all of a sudden. It was very erratic.

2 weeks later my bike stranded me and would not start.

Turns out all of my troubles were a bad ground connection. The first signs of a bad ground are often gauges reading erratic, or intermittent failures. Mine was the one that connects to the frame, and boy did it cause grief.

All fixed now.

Lou

1 - 6 of 6 Posts