Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read that this problem is somewhat common among Monsters. Then a while back I ran into the thread that showed these same pictures and the fix. However, I have done an extensive search and cannot find the thread again.

Before I start taking things apart does anyone know of the thread or the repair to this issue? I always see oil spray on my carbon scoop, and the other sports pictured. I'm thinking O rings but then I had a small oil puddle where the wipe is the size of a half dollar as seen in the third picture.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Clean it us as much as you can and when dry dust the area with some kind of talcum power. I've heard of using dry powder deodorant works too.
The source will show up real quick.
Could be something as simple as leaking valve cover gaskets. Might help to see if they are loose.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Oil is cheap!
clean it all up like a cats a$$.
Then do a short ride then look closely at it,
Use a Good light and make sure Dad has his glasses on and crawl on your belly like a reptile and search till you find the offending leaks.
USE a torgue wrench to check for tightness and a teeny tiny bit more torque may be needed,
Check the manual and use some proper grade locktite to the fasteners if new gaskets are needed.

with that size of puddle it shouldn't be that hard to find a leak or 2.
Great fun Huh?
you will feel better when you fix it without the cost of a dealer added to th project.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil is cheap!
clean it all up like a cats a$$.
Then do a short ride then look closely at it,
Use a Good light and make sure Dad has his glasses on and crawl on your belly like a reptile and search till you find the offending leaks.
USE a torgue wrench to check for tightness and a teeny tiny bit more torque may be needed,
Check the manual and use some proper grade locktite to the fasteners if new gaskets are needed.

with that size of puddle it shouldn't be that hard to find a leak or 2.
Great fun Huh?
you will feel better when you fix it without the cost of a dealer added to th project.
I do actually need glasses but its not that dam bad hahaha. In any case I found the source of the large puddle of oil. It turns out that the oil filter was slowly backing off allowing the oil to find its way out. Furthermore, I will be changing all four O-rings and as you said will be also adding some blue locktite. That should do the trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts