Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had a leak at the little oil seal at the end of the clutch push rod. That makes a lot of mess with an open clutch cover. Lots of greasy dust everywhere (and i mean EVERYWHERE).

The first 3 friction plates are soaked in oil, completely black. The 5 others look normal (more grey).

I have read some people saying the oiled plates are not good for use anymore ?

If i clean them with brake cleaner, sand them a bit, and grease with lithium ? Go or no go ?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
You've had clutch trouble for a while, I say go with new plates and be done with it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If i clean them with brake cleaner, sand them a bit, and grease with lithium ? Go or no go ?
Clean the oily grit off with soap and water and reinstall. You realize that most motorcycle clutch plates run in an oil bath, right?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've had clutch trouble for a while, I say go with new plates and be done with it.
It's a newish pack so I would like to avoid that, therefore my question. Besides, I didn't had trouble for a while. It leaked maybe 2-3 rides before I catch it. It was just leaking a lot.

How many miles on the clutch ,, if over 15,000 change it if not clean ,lube ,install ,run it
Maybe 5k miles.

Clean the oily grit off with soap and water and reinstall. You realize that most motorcycle clutch plates run in an oil bath, right?
Absolutely. But I thought maybe the material was different? Some people experience clutch slippage when there's a leak oiling their clutch so I wondered.

Will clean and reinstall then

thanks

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Clean them and use them if they’re thick enough. Most Ducati clutch friction materials are for use in wet or dry clutches.

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I use my clutch 20 times or more in the first 3 miles of every ride, .... I won't put up with a compromise on that component.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use my clutch 20 times or more in the first 3 miles of every ride, .... I won't put up with a compromise on that component.
I never compromise anything on my bike, but that doesn't mean i want to throw a couple hundreds on it for no reason. Why fix what's not broke?

I cleaned everything, buttoned it back up, and it's working flawlessly like a brand new one.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
That is not the way of the Ducatisti ! Every time the tiniest thing happens you are supposed to throw copious amounts of cash at the problem until you’ve covered it in carbon fiber and titanium. The mark of the truest of Ducatisti is the one with the least actual Ducati parts on their bike. Oh yes, no cutting corners either. Every aftermarket part must be really expensive and have the brand etched into it, otherwise, how will everyone know how much of an enthusiast you are ? It would be easier to buy a Harley. All you need is leather, chrome, and some of those tattoo sleeves.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is not the way of the Ducatisti ! Every time the tiniest thing happens you are supposed to throw copious amounts of cash at the problem until you’ve covered it in carbon fiber and titanium. The mark of the truest of Ducatisti is the one with the least actual Ducati parts on their bike. Oh yes, no cutting corners either. Every aftermarket part must be really expensive and have the brand etched into it, otherwise, how will everyone know how much of an enthusiast you are ? It would be easier to buy a Harley. All you need is leather, chrome, and some of those tattoo sleeves.

All this while sipping an espresso in a ducati mug, watching the dealership tech doing it! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts