Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice an oil smell at stop lights sometimes. The level always seams fine and nothing wierd at oil changes and nothing really wierd in the airbox.

Alsio, the oil window recently has kind of a whiteish opaque look to it but the oil seams fine.

what does anyone think?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I notice an oil smell at stop lights sometimes. The level always seams fine and nothing wierd at oil changes and nothing really wierd in the airbox.

Alsio, the oil window recently has kind of a whiteish opaque look to it but the oil seams fine.

what does anyone think?
In this type of weather (cold), the white film in the sight window is normal, it is condensation because the oil never gets hot enough to burn it off. What the smell is, I have no idea.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If I use the exhaust on my 696 as handwarmers my gloves will smell like oil, but the oil level never drops.
I have no idea.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Its normal.. I had a 695 and have a S4Rt and both do it. Fact is V twins breath a lot of crankcase air (singles a lot more). Don't believe this, pull the oil fill plug and start it - it will blow oil everywhere! Monsters are particularly noticeable because the breather is vented into the airbox intake which is under the tank vs snorkeled out in the front the fairing. Most of the expelled oily air is caught by the breather and drains back into the engine. The rest breathes out through the airbox intake and drifts up from under the tank when idling - make sense?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've noticed this on every Ducati I've ever ridden. It seems like it's usually when I'm at a stop light right after running it hard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that was actually what I thought but I wanted to make sure. I would hate to be wrong and it be something important.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Make sure your drain plug is tight or your filter isn't leaking.

When that happens you'll get the smell when stopped. Only takes a few drips to get that odor.

what does anyone think?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could be chain oil as well. I used to smell mine a lot when I over oiled the chain. It has a pretty distinct smell though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mine doesn't. The only time I got an oil smell was when the oil filter wasn't tight enough, and put a few drops on the pipe after a short ride.

·
Registered
195 Posts
+1 about the whiteness on the oil window being water condensation.

However, contrary to popular belief, you'll never get the water out of your oil, no matter how hot your bike gets. This is because combustion of gasoline creates water, some of which gets past the rings and into the crankcase. There will always be some water in your oil, which will naturally rise to the surface, and condense on the window.

·
Registered
220 Posts
+1 about the whiteness on the oil window being water condensation.

However, contrary to popular belief, you'll never get the water out of your oil, no matter how hot your bike gets. This is because combustion of gasoline creates water, some of which gets past the rings and into the crankcase. There will always be some water in your oil, which will naturally rise to the surface, and condense on the window.
Rises to the surface? I thought oil "floated' on water? :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts