Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new to me 2018 Enduro Pro. While it's my 4th Duc, the electronics seem more advanced than in the past (duh!). I've always changed oil myself. The bike has 1600 miles or so, and the seller had changed the oil and filter at 600 himself. So the oil change light is still on.

The questions:
1. What tool can I use to reset the light? Is there an ODB2 port like cars have these days?

2. Where can I get a pdf of Service Manual (no moralizing pls)?

3. I expect my 49 year old wrists to be much happier than with the previous bike (picture). Is there a better way to get heated grips than $350-some grips on amazon?

4. This is probably my last big bike before I start downsizing. What's the age at which I will be afraid to put my foot down to support all this weight?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
759 Posts
1. You can't. The Bosch ECUs are locked down and so far nobody has found a way into the 2015+ DVT bikes.
2. Not sure on the 1260's, search this forum and if they're available, they're likely here somewhere.
3. Oxford make the best aftermarket grips, I don't think they're that expensive. Oxford Heaterz Premium Adventure Heated Grips - RevZilla (out of stock here, but you get the idea, I would imagine someone has them in stock)
4. Only you can decide that one. I know of guys on the R1 forums riding a superbike well into their 60's, meanwhile I had to quit it in my 40's.

Reactions: DucmanST3

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unfortunately, you are probably screwed on getting a service manual and only the dealer is going to be able to reset the light for you.

The service manuals are made available to the dealers in digital format only, and require a software key in order to access. I know there are a few folks out there that have friends at dealers and have accessed/printed chunks of the manuals, but I haven't found any pipeline for my 2020 950 S.

As for getting the service light reset, most dealers with reset them for you with some kind of proof of oil and filter purchase, as well as a labor charge for the time. I asked my local dealer (not the dealer I purchased from) about this and they will reset my service light with proof of purchase of parts, as well as 1/2 labor fee ($75). I don't think I'm going to bother unless I plan to sell and then I'll go get the light reset...

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Everyone here that works on their own bikes (or wants to) should become a 'Right to Repair' law activist. Being locked out of our bikes this way just sucks and turns the dealers into leaches.

...and another thought occurred: Many dealers (mine included) say they don't work on bikes older than 10 years old. What happens when your bike with a locked ECU is 11 years old and the dealer doesn't want to work on it any more, and no one else can either?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The service manuals are made available to the dealers in digital format only, and require a software key in order to access. I know there are a few folks out there that have friends at dealers and have accessed/printed chunks of the manuals, but I haven't found any pipeline for my 2020 950 S.
Incorrect, there's a USB key available with the manuals for all models of a given year, but it's around 400$ though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Incorrect, there's a USB key available with the manuals for all models of a given year, but it's around 400$ though.
If you can find a dealer that will sell it to you, please let me know. Agreed that there is a PN that they can order, but I don't know of anyone who has been able to purchase.

·
Registered
363 Posts
No way to reset, and no service manuals....

BUT I can tell you about heated grips. I have no experience with the previously mentioned Oxfords, but I use the Koso Apollo heated grips on my Air-Cooled Multi. The main difference is you don't need to mount a controller on the handlebars, with no additional downsides that I'm aware of. They are a little more expensive than the Oxfords, but certainly not $400, or even $200 iirc.

Check em out, always good to know what your options are.

OH and #4... yeah I cant help there. I could be your son.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I plan on riding until I can no longer do it safely. I'm 53, and I made the switch from sportbike to upright about 6 years ago; my wrists were okay but holding my neck up on long rides was starting to wreak havoc with my back. I can ride the multi all day comfortably, and I can't see that changing any time soon. If you want to keep in shape physically, work out with weights coupled with some aerobics. I know guys in their early 80's who look 60 and they all work out... it definitely keeps your musculo-skeletal system happy. I should listen to my own advice, I am up and down with exercise like everybody else, telling myself a couple of dog walks a day are enough to keep me in fighting form...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I reached out to Ducati of Omaha (one of the biggest Ducati online presence dealers) and this was the response I received about Repair Manuals...

Font Circle Number Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I reached out to Ducati of Omaha (one of the biggest Ducati online presence dealers) and this was the response I received about Repair Manuals...
If you can find a dealer that will sell it to you, please let me know. Agreed that there is a PN that they can order, but I don't know of anyone who has been able to purchase.

Sorry but

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry but

Still don't see the solution. Looks like someone was able to purchase the set for $600 but he doesn't say where. Then someone else basically says the same thing I did about Ducati of Omaha not selling it.

Im not trying to be argumentative, but I wouldn't hesitate to pay $600 for a manual from a trusted source that I knew I could order and receive with confidence.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Still don't see the solution. Looks like someone was able to purchase the set for $600 but he doesn't say where. Then someone else basically says the same thing I did about Ducati of Omaha not selling it.
You have the part number, the invoice, guy confirm it work, and was nice enough to try to copy it. What else do you need?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You have the part number, the invoice, guy confirm it work, and was nice enough to try to copy it. What else do you need?
Thanks for the link to that thread. It had enough info that I called several dealers who confirmed it was orderable, but would not sell, until I found AMS Ducati in Texas. They spent some time using that PN to try and locate a 2020 version, but claim Ducati has not released yet due to time proximity to warranty period. I'm confident 2019 manual will be pretty much dead on for my model and ordered it through them for $433.

They also claimed they would test it and activate it for me if needed... I'll know in a few weeks

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled, 2008 VFR800
362 Posts
Doesn't LT Snyders manual have everything needed for engine service?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I’m 72 and for the last few years carpal tunnel syndrome has made my hands go numb after about an hour, to the point I cannot operate the controls. If you can’t operate a brake lever, you’re screwed. .Arthritic back makes sport bikes uncomfortable. So it depends what health issues you have and whether you can do something to help the issue . Going to physical therapy for the back issues has improved things greatly. Hands going numb, not sure whether surgery is an option or not, but I might be willing. It just comes down to how far you are willing to go to keep riding. Will you keep riding when you can’t feel your fingers to take the key out of the ignition ? I do. There certainly is no age limit, everyone is different. As an example, I was pretty healthy at 21, but things have been going down hill ever since. I’m starting to realize that my reaction time is slipping. Part of reaction time is the speed at which you recognize a threat, then turn that into a physical response. To me, that will probably be more of a reason to quit than sore body parts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just got a new to me 2018 Enduro Pro. While it's my 4th Duc, the electronics seem more advanced than in the past (duh!). I've always changed oil myself. The bike has 1600 miles or so, and the seller had changed the oil and filter at 600 himself. So the oil change light is still on.

The questions:
1. What tool can I use to reset the light? Is there an ODB2 port like cars have these days?

2. Where can I get a pdf of Service Manual (no moralizing pls)?

3. I expect my 49 year old wrists to be much happier than with the previous bike (picture). Is there a better way to get heated grips than $350-some grips on amazon?

4. This is probably my last big bike before I start downsizing. What's the age at which I will be afraid to put my foot down to support all this weight?

I am 72 and just completed a ride from Las Vegas to Santa Fe and back with dirt and mud in the route.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts