Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, a while back i posted a thread about engine cutting out on hard accels...and got some great help. It ended up being one of the square block electrical things behind the battery. when that was happening, i reported my oil light flickering. After the fix, the next ride it was still doing that, but accompanied by some dripping oil i found under bike.

So i looked for the area of oil saturation, and it appears to be coming from the area near the fill plug, from what i'm guessing is the oil sensor? upon pulling the electrical component of it, i found a ton of oil inside on the pin itself, just soaked in oil. Does this have some type of diaphragm in it, that ruptures or something? is it even possible for the sensor to leak oil? It was not horrible, but enough to coat the clutch side of my engine. ( i opened clutch cover, just to make sure the seal behind there didn't get smoked, and clutch was dry)

I've enclosed some pics, to show you all. =) Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That explains your flickering light. They tend to leak right as they start to give funny readings... Eventually they stop working all together. Get a replacement and install it with a new washer and you will be good to go. Mine did the same thing. Flickered, leaked, then quit altogether. I panicked, but a pressure check revealed it was the just the sensor that was finished.

Also ONLY run it with 15w50 oil. Don't run 10w40. It gets too thin when the motor gets hot, tends to set off the light at idle in traffic.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Ducati oil sensors are a well-established weak point in the system. The same one was used on many (most?) Desmoquatro and testrastretta - 539.4.030.1A. They are a microcosm of everything that bedevils us about some parts on our Ducatis - expensive and short lived. As a consequence, I try to carry a spare sensors with me when I ride, oil pressure and water temp especially. Both the 1198 and the 1199 have a slightly different number - 539.4.030.2A - but I don't know if the actual part was improved.

Ron

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bought a replacement for a Volkswagon from Autozone for less than $20. Slightly larger diameter but works fine. Ducati is more than twice that.......

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Looking at the pictures i posted, you all saw the amount of oil on the side of the engine. It can literally spew that much oil out thru the oil pressure sensor??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JEC, .... is this Jason from New Brunswick? =) i finally just put 2 + 2 together.

I've never had a single issue with my bike up til now(other then the belts/rockers being changed as a precaution)....almost 7 years i've had it now. this year, just seems to be one thing after another.

I've only run 10-40 Silkolene fully synthetic. Never had any issues with oil pressure light, before now. But might be worth considering....but going to be making another New Brunswick to Tennessee ride in Sept, so i'm kinda hesitant to change oil weight. As i hear it causes different swirl patterns in cylinders, etc. And i dont wanna risk anything. heh.

That explains your flickering light. They tend to leak right as they start to give funny readings... Eventually they stop working all together. Get a replacement and install it with a new washer and you will be good to go. Mine did the same thing. Flickered, leaked, then quit altogether. I panicked, but a pressure check revealed it was the just the sensor that was finished.

Also ONLY run it with 15w50 oil. Don't run 10w40. It gets too thin when the motor gets hot, tends to set off the light at idle in traffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts