Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When getting into the oil screen do I have to just un-nut the hex which I highlighted in red, do I need to remove the nut which is brass and connected to the temperature line (is it safe to remove this hex by the brass nut)?, and do I also have to remove the nut underneath which I highlighted also in red, or I don’t need to? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Don't undo the plug at the bottom. Just use a socket on the large hexagon, leaving the brass hex in place.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Don't undo the plug at the bottom. Just use a socket on the large hexagon, leaving the brass hex in place.
And if it's the "first" time it has been removed be prepared to use all of your strength and a small elephant to remove it, and you will find a bit of stuff on the screen...it's to be expected.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Right. The "brass nut" should be left in the aluminium cap. It's actually the easily-broken hollow temperature bulb called the Thermistor. Torque value is a mere 7 ft/lbs (10 Nm)-- at most! See this thread from 2012: Oil Pickup Filter Hex Size?
To undo the filter screen behind the cap you'll need a 14mm allen socket. When I cleaned my screen at 36k kms as recommended, it was screwed in very tight. After I got it out I found very little in it --almost clean --though this might vary from bike to bike. I doubt I'll bother taking it out again at 72k kms unless the engine has had work done.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can’t find my manual book, can anyone please tell me the correct torque spec for the oil screen, and the hex nut. Thanks again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Would you check this when servicing a bike with 4k miles ?
Ducati recommend first cleaning of this filter at 36,000 kms in the Sport Classics. When I did mine (at 36k) it was so clean I wondered why I bothered --especially as I snapped the little brass oil temp bulb!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts