Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was making my first oil change today and everything was going well except that I couldn't get the plug that holds the oil screen loose. I reefed on it hard enough to get it loose and it wouldn't budge, the oil drain plug came right off without trouble. I've read on here that they can be damn tight the first time you open them up but the dealer changed the oil at the 600 mi. service so I don't get it. I was afraid to get too crazy on it in case something was stripped, I didn't want to break it in my garage. How much force do you need to break them open the first time? I'm starting to be concerned that the dealer didn't clean that screen 3,000 miles ago but I'm hoping that's just fear talking. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have a '04 ST3 w/24k, I recall my first oil change/oil screen filter plugs--things seemed over tight. Regarding the 14mm oil screen filter plugs (there are two 14mm plugs on the '04 ST3, the outer one, then a few inches in is another, (actual tube-like screen). I've used a large crescent wrench on the end of the 14mm allen wrench for leverage, worked for me. Lefty loosey, righty tighty. I don't know the torque specs if any.

Check the screen for shavings and such. You may see tiny bits of gasket material, no worries there. I also look closely at the oil when pouring it from oil catch pan into waste container, the very end of the pour off I usually see some very fine bits which I believe is normal. Good luck

·
7,733 Posts
I had to use a breaker bar and some *serious* force to break the interior oil screen plug loose on my ST3. It's *really*tight. Just make sure your 14mm's hex is *fully* seated. I made sure by bottoming it out with a rubber mallet against the socket with extension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.