Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change today (2007 ST3S) and found that the oil filter screen (part number 894.2.009.1a) was missing entirely. My guess is that it was not replaced during a previous service but wanted to check with the experts. Could it be that this was not standard on the 2007 model or perhaps there's a history of it being absent from new in later models?

Also, what is the small threaded plug adjacent to the oil screen? It seems to serve no purpose?

Any insight will be appreciated.

Ken

·
7,733 Posts
Unlikely they would stop installing that sceeen at the factory as it is a vital part of the oil circulation/filtering system because it captures larger parts of swarf from being pumped through the filter and then the engine iirc.

Not sure which plug you're referring to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that it was a long shot to hope it was discontinued, but I'm just so mad to find it missing! The mystery plug is part 23 in the attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
I have an '06 ST3...screen present. Yours should be too! Can't help you on the mystery plug...I have one too and can't figure out what it's used for.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That's where they machine the oil passage to feed from the screen to the oil pump. It's drilled perpendicularly from the outside, and then requires a plug to seal it up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For some strange reason(i collect spare parts)i have a few new ones on the shelf for my 996.

But,on one occasion when spinning out the metal part,the plastic pressed on screen popped off into the sump.It is a snug hole and the screen could catch the lip of the hole and pop off.Try rolling the bike about and view thru the hole and try to see if the sucker is rolling around still inside the sump.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Ducxl: Ducati changed the screen arrangement somewhere between 1998 and 2003. My 1998, the screen was part of the big bolt that was loosened. My 2003, the bolt (cover) comes off, and then the screen assy needs a large allen key to be loosened and removed.
Note of Caution: Be sure to fully tighten the newer screen assy. If it loosens, it will move outward enough to block the oil suction hole. You’ll get low oil pressures, and probably ruin your engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. A couple of stupid questions given my lack of familiarity:

1. I've put 3000 miles on this bike (now at 5000 miles) since I bought it, and now I discover there's no screen. Could there have been some damage done?

2. I'm assuming I need to drain the oil before installing a new screen, but I'd like to check in case this is doable without a drain. Is it?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I think it can be removed without draining or losing any oil, if you do it on the side stand.

When you remove that outer large bolt, you may see this smaller hex hole for an allen key. This has the screen attached to it on the inside of the engine.

If you can poke one of your fingers all the way into the hole, then the screen is missing.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The mystery plug is part 23 in the attached.
What does it say it is in the parts PDF ? (Spare Parts Catalogue)
If you don't have the Parts PDF, download this invaluable tome from here - Ducati

·
7,733 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. A couple of stupid questions given my lack of familiarity:

1. I've put 3000 miles on this bike (now at 5000 miles) since I bought it, and now I discover there's no screen. Could there have been some damage done?

2. I'm assuming I need to drain the oil before installing a new screen, but I'd like to check in case this is doable without a drain. Is it?
The screen catches larger bits of stuff before it gets into the oil pan and then sent to the filter. The filter will catch it before it gets pumped into the engine. The oil pan plug has a magnet in it too. If you are inclined, you may want to open up the oil filter to see if anything interesting is in there. The screen is good for that, ie you can see what's in the oil without opening up the filter, good to keep an eye for flaking rockers, and also keeping the filter cleaner, longer. You should be okay. :) I mean the manual states to check it *every other* oil change. :)

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I believe it also protects the oil pump from swarf. A hard chip of metal getting sucked into the pump would probably score the pump up a bit, prematurely wearing the pump, and yielding a lower pressure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts