Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I changed my oil today and decided that I'd like to have a look at the oil screen. So everyone knows that the cover screw for the screen recess takes a 14MM hex. This has been stated several times in threads here.

As far as the size needed to actually remove the screen, I could find no info on it here.

My large hex sockets were too fat to get in deep enough into the recess that houses the screen to get at it.

I called a Ducati dealership to talk to a mechanic to get the correct size, so I wouldn't be chasing my tail and buying the wrong size hex socket.

He said it's a 17MM. Ok, it looked to me to be about that size. So I went to the local NAPA store and they had a 17MM long hex socket about 3" long so I knew that it would be able to go as deep as needed in the recess to catch the screen. Perfect, I scored!

So I get home and insert the 17MM into the screen and it's NOT a normal tight fit as it should be. Or that we're all used to, anyway. It has play and can be twisted side to side, WTF?!

I decide to turn it gently (it's plastic and I did not want to wreck the screen) turns out it's just hand tight and I'm able to unscrew and remove the screen without damaging it. (whew)

When I get it out and have it in my hands, I put the allan socket back in and sure enough it appears to be maybe a MM too small. No way to measure it with calipers because it's recessed too far into the screen.

I call NAPA and ask if they have an 18MM in the tool that I bought because I was gonna take the screen over there and try an 18 to see if it fit better/tighter. Well, they don't have one.

So, I'm asking, does anyone know for sure what size it is? I suppose that I could continue forever to use the 17MM that I bought because it's only tightened to hand tight but would prefer to have the correct size if the 17MM is not it.

It very well could be that it's supposed to be a 17MM, it just is more loose than a normal fit that you always experience. Maybe because it's plastic?

By the way...this specialty super long hex socket was 20 bucks.:crying:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Bumping this thread back up.. does anyone know what size allen key is required to get the actual screen out? I know that the external plug (on the crankcase) is 14mm...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I bought a 14mm for the external plug and I don’t recall ever needing anything else to get the screen itself out, so you might be good. I’ve got an 08 1100S.

Bear in mind the OP was asking about a 2015 4-valve model.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I bought a 14mm for the external plug and I don’t recall ever needing anything else to get the screen itself out, so you might be good. I’ve got an 08 1100S.

Bear in mind the OP was asking about a 2015 4-valve model.
I have a 14mm socket and got the external plug out, but when I looked inside I couldn't really see anything. Looking in the parts diagram, there's another plug in there, but it doesn't say what size...

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,332 Posts
I’m not sure if it’s the same as my Monster DS1000 but the tool kit that came with the bike has a long spark plug tool. It can also be used to unscrew the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
661 Posts
I’m not sure if it’s the same as my Monster DS1000 but the tool kit that came with the bike has a long spark plug tool. It can also be used to unscrew the screen.
Thanks! I didn't even think to check mine.

I think all of my Ducs were 14 and 14.
Do you remember if you need a long 14mm for the screen?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I changed my oil today and decided that I'd like to have a look at the oil screen. So everyone knows that the cover screw for the screen recess takes a 14MM hex. This has been stated several times in threads here.

As far as the size needed to actually remove the screen, I could find no info on it here.

My large hex sockets were too fat to get in deep enough into the recess that houses the screen to get at it.

I called a Ducati dealership to talk to a mechanic to get the correct size, so I wouldn't be chasing my tail and buying the wrong size hex socket.

He said it's a 17MM. Ok, it looked to me to be about that size. So I went to the local NAPA store and they had a 17MM long hex socket about 3" long so I knew that it would be able to go as deep as needed in the recess to catch the screen. Perfect, I scored!

So I get home and insert the 17MM into the screen and it's NOT a normal tight fit as it should be. Or that we're all used to, anyway. It has play and can be twisted side to side, WTF?!

I decide to turn it gently (it's plastic and I did not want to wreck the screen) turns out it's just hand tight and I'm able to unscrew and remove the screen without damaging it. (whew)

When I get it out and have it in my hands, I put the allan socket back in and sure enough it appears to be maybe a MM too small. No way to measure it with calipers because it's recessed too far into the screen.

I call NAPA and ask if they have an 18MM in the tool that I bought because I was gonna take the screen over there and try an 18 to see if it fit better/tighter. Well, they don't have one.

So, I'm asking, does anyone know for sure what size it is? I suppose that I could continue forever to use the 17MM that I bought because it's only tightened to hand tight but would prefer to have the correct size if the 17MM is not it.

It very well could be that it's supposed to be a 17MM, it just is more loose than a normal fit that you always experience. Maybe because it's plastic?

By the way...this specialty super long hex socket was 20 bucks.:crying:
late to the thread but maybe helpful to someone ... but can confirm the internal thread of the screen of my 2016 Hypermotard 939SP is indeed 18 mm ... NAPA is one of the FEW folks that appear to offer a 18 mm hex bit socket ... "Carlyle Socket External Bit Metric 18 mm Part #: CHT SH1218M"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts