Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am due for an oil change and im fairly new with Ducatis. I rather disclose this information than try to sound cool, but I wanted to know what brand of oil and rating you guys recommend for my bike.

I live in NY (long island and the city) and I ride from April through the beginning of November. I have been told that Shell is not available in the US (is this true?) so im open to suggestions. Ive heard good things of Repsol, Motorex and Mobil.

Can you guys help me out please?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
You are correct about Shell's Advance Ultra 4 not being available here in the States. I read elsewhere on the oil thread that Rotella 4T fully synthetic is a very close formulation to Ultra 4. I don't know either way. What I can tell you is any full synthetic, branded motorcycle oil (Others may disagree and say automobile synthetic is OK because of our dry clutches. I'll stick with motorcycle specific oils.) will be fine. Read your manual for weights. This time of year, even here on the Gulf Coast, I run 10w40. In the summer, up to 15w50.

I don't want to get into specific brands for one reason: It's like talking politics or religion, everybody swears theirs is heaven's gift. I've had good results with all the major labels and the reason I can say that is my strong belief that a particular brand is secondary to the frequency of changing your oil. I don't buy the "high mileage oil" pitch, sorry. For me it's oil and filter change every 1500 miles. Overkill? Maybe, but it's the cheapest insurance you can buy for your bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts