Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out of curiousity, what type of oil should i use for my 2002 748? it has about 8500 miles on it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
SARS said:
out of curiousity, what type of oil should i use for my 2002 748? it has about 8500 miles on it.
Each to their own when it comes to oil.
For me I run Mobil 1 Racing 4t in both my 998 and 888 SP5.
It's 100% Ester Based Synthetic and exceeds all Ducati specs .
Application quote from Mobil

"Applications
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40, 15W-50 and 20W-50 are specifically recommended for lubrication of four-stroke motorcycle engines in high performance motorcycles."

You have a High Performance 4 Stroke Engine in your machine, O.K you may never ride it to the limit all the time but give the engine the best blood around.
I pay $45 for 4 liters in Australia, I change it every 2500kms (1500miles) with the filter. Some say it is excessive but put it this way, I'm protecting a rather expensive high performance engine of which I have no problems spending $50 on every so often.

And last of all I dont work for Mobil or sell Mobil products.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
In in Oz too, NSW. Where the heck do you find Mobil 1 for $45 for 4L. Over here the cheapest I've found it was $65.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Another vote for a Sticky at the top of every forum to the dreaded oil question. I vote for a Sticky.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Ducboy said:
Search the forum.
actually...it would be more like search the old archives.....we haven't had a good oil thread on the new site yet!.....

Personally I use Mobil 1 V-Twin formula Synthetic 20w50!.....

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Sorry, another vote for Amsoil V-Twin 20W50

·
Registered
746 Posts
Mobil 1 4T Racing

jwsparkes said:
In in Oz too, NSW. Where the heck do you find Mobil 1 for $45 for 4L. Over here the cheapest I've found it was $65.
Call or email Mobil in NSW and ask where the distributors are, contact distributors and buy direct, cut out the middle man.

I buy my oil direct from Statewide Distributor here in Perth, if I buy from a bike shop (MIDDLE MAN) they put their 40% on it. This is due to ordering it, transporting it and stocking it, dont get sucked in.......

·
Registered
125 Posts
OldFart said:
Another vote for mobil 1 4T

When you say "mobil 1 4T" are you referring to the motorcycle specific MX4T 10W40 or some other oil in the Mobil line?

·
Registered
791 Posts
on nichols recommendation, i use 15/50. brandwise, i'm not too concerned but i change it approx. every 2500-3k miles or every two trackdays. i buy motorex by the gallons when they have 2 for 1 specials at races etc.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
If you change regularly, use a good (Ducati) filter, and use a good name brand oil, I personally don't think there is such a thing as bad oil...except for maybe Quaker State!! Any one with a good reputation is going to do a good job I feel. Pick which bottle looks the best and put your mind at ease!! I literally went with Amsoil because of thier reputation and had used some of thier other fluids with good results (gear and trans fluid), and it said V-Twin on the bottle. If it wasn't for Amsoil, I would use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 motorcycle oil. Sorry, it may be a sales gimmic, but that "V-Twin" on the bottle gives me piece of mind and that is priceless. Could be total crap advertising and total crap oil, but I'll feel good dang-it!!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
s'funny - Brock Davison recommends Quakerstate dino oil as the best dino on the market in his testing of all oils he's used. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
OldBaldy said:
s'funny - Brock Davison recommends Quakerstate dino oil as the best dino on the market in his testing of all oils he's used. :)
what for short 1/4 mile runs??? 0w will do just fine then

1 - 18 of 18 Posts