Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finishing up assembling my 2000 750 Monster and I can’t figure out where the oil pressure switch attaches to the harness.

Most of the connectors on the harness are attached correctly because I marked everything with labels when I disassembled the bike. Unfortunately there were a few connectors that weren’t attached to anything when I disassembled the harness so I have no idea what they’re for. Now that I’ve connected everything that was labeled, I’m stuck on what the remaking ones are for. I have the senor in the engine, I was wondering if someone could take a picture of where and what connector the oil sensor attaches too.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
One more thing if anyone knows; on the harness there are three connectors back by where the fuse box is (see below), one is for the brake light switch. Does anyone know what the other two are for? I’m hoping one is for the oil pressure switch.

The round connector at the top of the picture looks like it would connect to the oil sensor, but the wire is way too short to reach.

I’ve looked up wire harness diagrams, but you have to be a nuclear physicist to understand these schematics.

·
Registered
2009 M1100S, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
601 Posts
Brake Light, Oil Pressure and Neutral switch. If you have a wiring diagram the colours of the wires should tell you the rest.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
648 Posts
The one on the top is definitely the oil pressure plug. Weird that it’s not long enough. You could always extend the wires, but if everything’s routed correctly, it should reach.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I was hoping that was the oil pressure plug. I’ll check it again. It should reach if it ever did before. Maybe I have to move the harness some to get it there.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something is wrong. That can’t be the plug. While it’s the right connector, there is no way the harness would fit. You would have to shift the entire harness up a foot from the back, so much so that the fuse box wouldn’t reach.

I just tried it. I took the fuse box off and put the plug on the sensor and it’s way off from where it needs to be. In most pictures I see of oil sensors, the wire is long. The wire on this plug is about two inches long.

See how far away the fuse box is from the mount when oil sensor is plugged in? Can’t be correct.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here’s a picture of the bike when I bought it. You can see that the plug is far away from the oil sensor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I figured it out!

There is a wire at the bottom of the rear of the engine. It’s the exact same plug as the oil sensor. I had that wire incorrectly plugged into the oil sensor plug.

I now plugged the correct plug into the oil sensor and the wire at the base of the engine (whatever that is) is now plugged into the correct plug that we thought as the oil sensor plug.

So now those three connectors are for the brake light switch, the neutral indicator and a third connector that I don’t know what it’s for.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One last question. I have ONE remaining connector that don’t know where it goes. It’s a white plastic connector that is next to the main fuse.

Does anyone have any idea what this goes to?

·
Registered
2009 M1100S, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
601 Posts
the one on the back of the block is the neutral switch, the white connector could be the Blinker/Flasher Relay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts