Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my yearly epic trip got cut short; I left on Friday with a bunch of guys and a gal headed for the Washington cost. I made it as far as Coleville Washington where I had planned to depart from the first group to catch up with a second group back in Townsend MT. Leaving Coleville I hit a lot of rain, and had noticed a very very dim oil pressure light, so dim that I thought it might just be a reflection of my rain gear. The light slowly got brighter to the point that I was sure it was on, so I pulled over ASAP. By the time I had gotten off the road the light slowly dimmed and went out. I shut the bike off stood it up straight, and check the level it was good, not surprising as I had just did a oil change two days before. Not knowing what the hell that was all about, I continued on watching the light like a hawk. After about 350 miles I got pulled over to receive my yearly donation to the Montana Highway patrol, for driving over the posted limit (good thing he caught me coming out of the corner not going in) only $20 this year down a full $10 from last years donation (god I love Montana) . Anyhow shortly after I got pulled over the oil pressure light did the same thing, this time I also noticed the oil temp at a low 58c, and again it got brighter, and then went out in a few seconds.

I have never seen a light slowly come on, and I have no idea if this is a normal way for a Ducati to indicate low oil pressure? In the oil change I did in the previous week I did use a heaver weight oil (10W50 full synthetic) then what I usually use, as I was planning to ride thru the Arizona desert.

Could the light be indicating high oil pressure as it was thick oil in at a relatively low temp 58c? Or was it simply moisture playing games with the electrical?

Not wanting to breakdown any further from home then where I was, I decided to end my trip short and head for home. The ride home at times was even wetter than the previous day, and in the 590 miles, the light did not come on once ?

WTH???? Any Ideas????

·
Registered
401 Posts
This was a common problem with the early 90s bikes. Water gets into the rubber cover over the oil pressure switch and starts to ground it and the light comes on. Pull back the cover and blow off as much water as possible. It should fix it. I have seen as much as an ounce of water come out of the old covers. I used to put a zip tie on the top to try to keep the water out.

Jim

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Same issue on a 2006 800ss. Only occurred after bike was molested with a hose :)eek:)

Indications: the engine light would dim and brighten, mostly on acceleration. After a few days of drying the issue went away. I originally thought it was the oil pressure sensor going on the fritz. While hunting one down (thanks Larry Pegram, he was selling all his Ducati parts on ebay) I took the connectors off of the oil pressure and oil temperature sensors, used dialectric grease and have not had problems since. The new oil pressure sits in my parts bin.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

Dielectric grease it is then. I'm also thinking this would be a great time to machine up a custom dash with a oil pressure and volt gauge.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I actually went as far as to pull the wire out of the top of the sending unit, slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over it, reinserted it, and shrunk the tubing.

The joys of living in the Pacific Northwest...

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
a solution for voltage and temperature, using a ShowChrome DM and a metal electrical box cover, bent and painted and velcro. It would be nice to have oil pressure too but I have yet to find a suitable all-in-one, weather-capable meter.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I actually went as far as to pull the wire out of the top of the sending unit, slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over it, reinserted it, and shrunk the tubing.

The joys of living in the Pacific Northwest...
Plus 1 on that I did the same thing "Pure Michigan"........

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
one thing to consider, at least I need to consider in the California heat - the iphone is not happy sitting in the sun too long and shuts down. You may need to go with a smoke or dark tinted windscreen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts