Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so, I keep getting my oil pressure light coming on. (2013 Hyper 821 SP)

Oil level is good. Checked it probably 500 times because I’m paranoid lol. New Oil; service done about 1k miles ago. Was fine after.

Light comes on when accelerating or revving above 6k Rpms. no light when cruising Around at lower rpms. When I blip the throttle just over 6k while idling, the light will come on for a few seconds then turn off.

Any suggestions/ideas for diagnosing?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You could start by replacing the sender unit...if that doesn't clear things up... start looking through the oil circuit for a blockage

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could start by replacing the sender unit...if that doesn't clear things up... start looking through the oil circuit for a blockage
Oh dang, that sounds so not fun lol

I may try just replacing sensor.

how sensitive are these oil pressure lights?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’m assuming you also checked the pressure sensor for leaks. What you described happened to me riding back home when I got home I went under the bike and saw the leak, I order the switch and problem solved, I would start with that, check ebay for a used one they are cheap $30

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Visually it’s okay. No leaks. I removed the sensor, cleaned the sensor & the line but still same thing.
Has to be either another crazy electrical thing, sensor issue, or a restriction somewhere..

was trying to find the oil pressure specs somewhere. The sensor says .4 bar on the thread side.
maybe could Remove sensor & check the pressure with an inline type gauge with same threads in place of the sensor?

also, I’ve had other crazy electrical issues as well not to long ago. Battery died while trying to start. Charged battery. Then,
Instrument cluster says “Hyperstrada” vs. Hypermotard when turning on.
Also all the riding modes switched to ‘strada riding mode (touring/urban/sport) instead of being the SP riding Modes (rain/sport/race).

·
Registered
301 Posts
also, I’ve had other crazy electrical issues as well not to long ago. Battery died while trying to start. Charged battery. Then,
Instrument cluster says “Hyperstrada” vs. Hypermotard when turning on.
Also all the riding modes switched to ‘strada riding mode (touring/urban/sport) instead of being the SP riding Modes (rain/sport/race).
That’s nuts. How did you fix that one? in case I get that little gem also

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ducati dealer wanted a 4 labor hour deposit to check out the electrical issues with Instrument cluster thing...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem still there...

okay So looking for some help please..

where can I find oil pressure specs for the 821 engine?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so last oil change I didn’t pull the mesh filter. That was the second oil change since owning the bike. The first oil change was done by the shop who did all the maintenance on the bike prior to my ownership.

what would cause the mesh filter to do this?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Okay so last oil change I didn’t pull the mesh filter. That was the second oil change since owning the bike. The first oil change was done by the shop who did all the maintenance on the bike prior to my ownership.

what would cause the mesh filter to do this?

View attachment 986752
The crank case is basically an oil pan....everything gets pulled through the mesh filter just before the pump...if your oil has sat long enough with enough debris it would collapse the mesh filter...I think this is why you would store the bike with clean oil...don't sweat over it...replace it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The crank case is basically an oil pan....everything gets pulled through the mesh filter just before the pump...if your oil has sat long enough with enough debris it would collapse the mesh filter...I think this is why you would store the bike with clean oil...don't sweat over it...replace it.
Okay cool. Thanks man

1 - 17 of 17 Posts