Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. The question of questions. What kind of oil does everyone use in their SC's?

The reason I bring this up is because I recently did an oil chance in my Audi using Royal Purple. I can honestly say that my engine is running clearly different (in a good way). After this, I stumbled upon a pdf about oil performance and found that Royal Purple is not only superior to most of the commonly available oils, but it was far superior.

Has anyone run RP in the Duc? I am thinking about changing my oil this week before heading down to the AMA races this weekend and was considering RP.

So, what oil and what weight is being used by everyone?

EDIT: here is the link for that PDF www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
AAAAAAAA! Oil Thread!

That test certainly gives interesting information, but suffers from some huge problems when trying to determine a "good" oil for our bikes.

1. Oil has many important qualities, and Extreme Pressure lubrication is only one of them. For instance:

A. The ability to withstand high temperatures without chemical breakdown
B. The ability to withstand high Temperatures without viscosity breakdown
C. The ability to hold contaminants in suspension
D. The ability to "buffer" chemical contaminants
E. Resistance to forming "sludge" (directly related to A and D).

to mention just a few

Our Air-cooled engines run much higher oil temperatures than liquid-cooled motorcycle or auto engines. Thus, the temperature resistance issue is one of the most important for our engines.

2. The Royal Purple is rated SJ. All the others (except the Motul 8100) are rated with later ratings. Each of the recent SAE motor oil ratings has reduced the amounts of zinc/phosphorous ingredients that help protect in Extreme Pressure situations (reduced for emissions reasons). Thus, one would expect that an SJ oil would perform better than the SL's, or (especially) the SM's in this particular test. The Royal Purple Racing oil has no "S" rating at all, and is designed for off-road use, so it is immune from even the SJ limitations on anti-wear ingredients. It is a higher viscosity as well. In other words, it wasn't really a level playing field.

3. All the tested oils were automotive oils. We do not drive autos. Many motorcycle oils have more of those anti-wear ingredients specifically designed for film break-down circumstances such as those addressed in the test. A comparison of motorcycle oils might have shown many more oils that were capable of results similar to the Royal Purple results. I'd love to see such a comparison that also tested the Amsoil and Spectro full synthetic motorcycle oils.

So, I'm not saying anything bad about the Royal Purple oil used in the test, but they had a distinct advantage over the most of the other oils chosen in the particular test that was administered. For me, the most interesting part of the results was not how well Royal Purple did (as the points above show that they should have), but how well the inexpensive Durablend did, and how poorly Motul 8100 did, as it theoretically had some of the same advantages as the Royal Purple.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I don't think it matters too much, as long as a good quality synthetic of the correct viscosity is used.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Mmmmm, an oil thread. Naw.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I'll say it before anyone else does - baby oil.

Right. Now that's done carry on. :p

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Is it snowing over there?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle with good results. I use Mobil v-twin 20-50 on my other bike with good results, but they don't offer a 10-40 anymore, I believe. My research concludes these are safe for my bikes.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
For the price of the Shell Rotella as reported by the Wally World shoppers, I'm interested in anyones long term observations who might be running the stuff? I noticed a difference in shifting smoothness when trying out some Repsol oil once....once. That stuff was horrible.

This thread reminded me of this: Po-Boy fully synthetic $10 oil change
(I think I'm almost there for another free oil change! Woot!)

·
Registered
724 Posts
AstroGlide X :eek:

Get a good synthetic oil and you'll do fine...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Softie,

After using the baby oil, you can always douche. I use Massingil or Summer's Eve...:p

Oh, and when I oil up (or down, depending on your persuasion) I use Mobil 1.

Cheers,
JS

ps I thought there was an oil forum now?!?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Actually, the (oil) question is not totally devoid of merit, despite the harsh time that it's received here :D

We have very limited options here in the land of Oz. Paying $90+ for 4 litres of the recommended Shell slippery stuff is a slippery slope to poverty, like having your bike serviced by a dealer...

I'm considering a Castrol product, Castrol Power 1 GPS Motorbike Oil - 10W-50. The higher viscosity rating suits our scorching environment (32degrees Celsius in the last week of winter!!!). Although its only semi synthetic, I'm only doing low km between oil changes, and it looks fine...
http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/6179_Power1_GPS _465159_2007_08.pdf

The best thing is I can buy it at my local Supercheap store for 2/3 the cost of the stuff my dealer sells.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I can't believe that I, of all people, was the only person who took this seriously.

I feel so . . . dirty.
LOL...

I do use Castrol GPS 4T 20W50. Been using it for the last 2 years and so far so good!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts