Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
‘93 900ss being re-assembled after valve job and cylinder stud replacement. It has taken quite a while...
There is a dowel/bushing that fits in the oil supply passageway between the cylinder and head. I need some verification that the end with the larger diameter opening fits into the head. That is- one end has a very small opening while the other end’s is much larger.
All this started out by checking the valve clearances. Noticed the intake stem seal was not fully seated on the guide; one end of the retaining clip for the guide was in the groove for the seal. The exhaust guide in the horizontal head was toast but the vertical one was only slightly worn. Both the intake guides were fine but they’re all new now. 22k on the rig.
I’m sure it came from Italy with the guide clip issue as I bought the bike new and it hasn’t been opened before. Guess I just missed seeing it on previous valve adjustments. Oil consumption was very minimal through the life of the bike although there was considerably more carbon deposits on the piston with the compromised stem seal.
Just another Ducati saga.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It doesn't really matter which way the oil jet goes in, it is a restriction to lower the amount of oil going to the head and keep the oil pressure up for the lower end. FWIW I install mine with the small hole in the head.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. On further staring at the Haynes manual on pg 2-12 there is a pic which appears to show the bushing with the small hole to the head side which is the way I will install it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts