Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rizoma belt covers on my SC. I'm getting a little bit of oil buildup (looks like really light mist) on the inside of the glass. Happening on both vertical and horizontal. Is it common for the heads to leak on these things?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I have stock covers and there is always a little grunge in there that is a little moist, not just dust. If I had belt covers like yours the same thing would happen. Check all your bearings, tensioners, etc because when a bearing starts to go many times it will start leaking grease because it’s overheating. A little extra grunge in a spot may point you to the culprit.

Reactions: Multiplier

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
There are a few places that could cause oil inside the covers.

1. layshaft seal
2. cam seal
3. breather leaking and running down the case into the belt area.
4. head base gaskets.

#1 is the most likely cause as it is one of the seals I change the most. After that look at the breather to see if the oil is starting near the vertical exhaust side . If that area is clean look for oil radiating from around the back of your camshaft pulleys (cam seals).

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I have Rizoma covers with plexiglass. I don't recall residue like that. But then you know my bike has been out of commisson for 10 months.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
170 Posts
There are a few places that could cause oil inside the covers.

1. layshaft seal
2. cam seal
3. breather leaking and running down the case into the belt area.
4. head base gaskets.

#1 is the most likely cause as it is one of the seals I change the most. After that look at the breather to see if the oil is starting near the vertical exhaust side . If that area is clean look for oil radiating from around the back of your camshaft pulleys (cam seals).
Im inclined to agree with ducvet. Although I have stock let covers I noticed oil leaking down the case, turns our it was the seal. When I disassembled it the seal wasn't sealing anything, it as really loose. Replaced a few days ago and now riding it to see if it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. How difficult are the layshaft seals to replace? I typically do all my own maintenance but have never done these seals before. Big question is how do I even get the out?

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
170 Posts
Thanks everyone. How difficult are the layshaft seals to replace? I typically do all my own maintenance but have never done these seals before. Big question is how do I even get the out?
You'll need take off the belts and pulleys and may need some specific tools for the pulleys.If you do your own maintenance then it shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have those same Rizoma covers, but have never had any residue. Please let us know what you find if you replace any seals!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Layshaft seal failure is common, but you would most likely see some oil seep down your case where the temp sensor is.

If you're asking about how easy it is to replace, I wouldn't try it... anything having to do with timing on these motors should be handled by someone very comfortable and experienced in doing it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already replaced the belts myself. Should be fine to do this. Question is do I want to. :|

Layshaft seal failure is common, but you would most likely see some oil seep down your case where the temp sensor is.

If you're asking about how easy it is to replace, I wouldn't try it... anything having to do with timing on these motors should be handled by someone very comfortable and experienced in doing it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Finch, you have a part number for the seal? Looking at the diagram it looks like ducati calls it a spacer. Just want to make sure I order the right thing.

Im inclined to agree with ducvet. Although I have stock let covers I noticed oil leaking down the case, turns our it was the seal. When I disassembled it the seal wasn't sealing anything, it as really loose. Replaced a few days ago and now riding it to see if it fixed the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts