Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be doing my first oil change this weekend since my dealer did the 1000km service, and was wondering about the following:.

1) if most people are using Shell as recommended or a different brand of oil.

2) the manual suggests using SHELL - Advance Ultra 4 which is a fully synthetic oil. Since I don't take my bike to the track surely I can make do with a semi-synthetic oil like the Shell Advance SX4, right???

3) The manual states that 3.9 litres is the correct amount to refill - has anybody found this to be different in the real world?

Any answers / thoughts, or experiences regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
This is a perennial topic, but everyone is entitled to ask it once. ;)

Oil is a weird subject among motorheads. Many riders have a favorite brand that the swear by, usually because a dealer/friend/trusted mechanic/psychic or third cousin has used in for years and had absolutely no wear problems, finds their bike shifts well with it, etc. etc. And wonder of wonder they are all correct! If you follow their advice you will almost assuredly have no problem either.

Ducati, like many manufacturers, has a 'deal' with an oil company. Presently it is Shell. (Wasn't always) But look at the manual and you'll find that the use of any oil within a series of viscosity ranges (temperature appropriate) is OK. And it is.

Full synth or a blend? Either will do. In theory full synth will keep its viscosity longer. (The long molecules get broken down over time/miles/heat) Test show that some brands of each type are better at this than others. But that said tests have also shown that it makes little or no practical difference if you change the oil on schedule and that schedule likely calls for it far less often than you think and/or your dealer/friend/trusted mechanic/psychic or third cousin says.

The actual amount is close but not exact. That is because in actual use not every bit of old oil is drained. What to do? Fill your filter with oil and install it. With the bike vertical pour oil in slowly until it is midway up the sight window. Run the motor for a minute and then turn it off. Add more if indicated. Done.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What is this??? We need to change our oil??? Oh my God I better read the manual. :)

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
How often are "supposed" to change our oil. I feel stupid for asking this because I am sure that I have know this but my mind isn't working right at the moment. :confused:

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
BISHOP-BUCK said:
How often are "supposed" to change our oil.
I ought to actually look this up before answering, but I believe for `07s the suggested change interval is... 7,500 miles.

I do mine once a year and that comes out to about 4,000 miles or so. But I do my cars at the same suggested 7,500 mile interval with no ill effects.

OK, let the "Yes, buts..." begin. :D

-don

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I have an '06. I was thinking that it was every 6000. I am not likely to ride more than maybe 3000 or so. I had planned on just doing it at the end of the riding season no matter the mileage. I think I'll stick with that. :)
Thanks DUCeditor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
DUCeditor said:
But look at the manual and you'll find that the use of any oil within a series of viscosity ranges (temperature appropriate) is OK. And it is.
Not to be picky, but I must disagree with you. Viscosity is not the only thing that makes an oil meet a specification.

Specification (API - SL and JASO MA) is a good thing to look for on the product you choose.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I change mine every 3000, or around 3000. I know that synthetic oil is good for 7500 (I think), but what about the filter? I don't know......I can't be the only crazy guy (or anal guy, however you look at it) that changes it at 3000 miles or less. I know that Ducati wouldn't have it in their book if their filters were not good for it, but are they really any different than '06's. Didn't someone say 6,000 for that year. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I will change mine every 3,000 miles with full syn. I did change my first one after my last track ride (just before my second one) just so I had that warm fuzzy feeling when I went back out at max rpm's all day. So for me, it will be every 3,000 miles or every couple track days.

Mine took just over 3 1/2 qts with a filter change too.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Ducatisti23 said:
Will be doing my first oil change this weekend since my dealer did the 1000km service, and was wondering about the following:.

1) if most people are using Shell as recommended or a different brand of oil.

2) the manual suggests using SHELL - Advance Ultra 4 which is a fully synthetic oil. Since I don't take my bike to the track surely I can make do with a semi-synthetic oil like the Shell Advance SX4, right???

3) The manual states that 3.9 litres is the correct amount to refill - has anybody found this to be different in the real world?

Any answers / thoughts, or experiences regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

I went ahead and changed my oil at 1375 miles after I dented the oil filter on a hoist. I'm glad I did because I found a bunch of gunk in the oil pick up filter -- looked like a paper decal and some sand-like grit. Also found a small, but significant amount of metal swarf on the drain plug magnet. Makes me wonder if my dealer (since gone out of business) did a thorough job at the 600 mile service. Since I can't find the Shell Advance products, I'm using Mobil 1 "vee twin" 20w50 full synthetic oil, which seems to work fine.

I think the oil capacity is something less than 3.9 liters because I filled the oil filter before replacing for a total of 4 quarts (should be a hair less than 3.8 liters total) and the oil level ended up at the top of the viewing window. Don't suppose that's enough overfill to worry about.

Recommend you have a 14 mm Allen socket and a 21 mm regular socket on hand to change the oil pick up filter.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
SScowboy said:
Not to be picky, but I must disagree with you. Viscosity is not the only thing that makes an oil meet a specification.
Quite true, SScowboy. What I wrote was with the understanding that any oil under consideration meets the current standards. Beyond that is a world of hyperbole and conjecture.

-don

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, I'm dumb

Not to be a complete idiot, but I want to make certain...there are two bolts on the bottom of the block of the engine. One appears right under a spark plug, the second is more centrally located and larger. I suspect the larger to be my oil plug but can someone please verify before I make a regrettable mistake? Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not to be a complete idiot, but I want to make certain...there are two bolts on the bottom of the block of the engine. One appears right under a spark plug, the second is more centrally located and larger. I suspect the larger to be my oil plug but can someone please verify before I make a regrettable mistake? Thanks a lot guys!
LOL

Its the bigger one down the middle of the pan, further away from the filter.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I did some research when I owned my 999 because that thing lived in the 6k to 11k rev range. That is pretty abusive conditions, in pretty high oil temps. So, using a multi-weight oil (which I need in my region) the biggest factor was which multi grade handled breakdown the best. The additive used to make oil multi-weight also reduces it's protection capacity. Only two oil manufactures, Mobil One and Amzoil, use an additive that retain nearly 100% of the oil's protective character in extreme rev & heat. So, for a hi-revving Ducati, I only use Mobil one full syn. I plan on keeping the GT1000, so for me it's worth the extra cost. I use 15-50 mobile one extreme when I can't find the v-twin specific 15-50 mobile one.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My comments above used the term oil "break down". To be correct I should have used the term oil shear strenght...the abilty to coat and protect. Multi-grade oil additives can have a significant negative effect on shear strength (and hence critical lubrication protection) when you need it most (hi-rev, high heat conditions)

·
Registered
73 Posts
oops...

None of you called me on it! THanks for keeping quiet, but I hang my head in shame and will retire to an evening of cosmos instead of beer for this one. In my excited interest of which plug to pull to drain oil I mistakenly referred to the "sending unit" as I will refer to it, a spark plug last night. :eek: I am ashamed and will have some cocktails with the ladies tonight as punishment....tomorrow I drink beer and become man again!

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts