Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
996 20,228 miles on the engine. Slightly rough running below 6k rpms that I attribute to either play on the clutch shaft and/or piston slap on both cylinders. Slap with be checked out once head gaskets arrive. Anyhow I found the following in the oil.

Pick up screen wasn't bad.

Collector on the oil plug is probably from the pistons.

Consumes 1 quart of oil @ 1k miles of harder riding. 1/2 a quart in 2k miles normal riding.

Who can identify what the chunk of metal is?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Aluminum? Galley plug... Especially that second piece that looks like a piece of a disc. I'm guessing it's a MY2000, that was the last year before they switched to the better steel plug (2001+)

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,658 Posts
Is the chunk of metal alloy or steel?
Black material on the drain plug magnet looks like normal gearbox debris.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an aluminum chunk. I'm not too concerned about it and my gut tells me it's casting from the cases.

Btw- Who on this forum sold this engine to me. I'm not calling you out. I simply forgot who sold it to me. Thanks for all the good rides with it.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,658 Posts
It's an aluminum chunk. I'm not too concerned about it and my gut tells me it's casting from the cases.
Well there's absolutely nothing inside the cases remotely like that & in fact everything inside is smooth just like the outside.
Looks like the oil gallery plug to me.. I'd be checking the oil pressure with a gauge before I ran it again.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds legitimate. However long it has been in there, it's been that way for a while so I'll run it until I have a low oil light or until my head gaskets arrive whichever comes first.

Ducati guessed it was something from the case casting. I was in for a starter gasket so I showed the but to them.

How do you run an oil pressure test on one of these? And what are min max threshold. If you don't have the data I'll just look it up when I get home.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Get a pressure gauge (even an automotive dash gauge will work, as long as it has a decent detailed scale from 0-100 psi). Connect it where the oil pressure switch is mounted, next to the fill plug (obviously remove the oil switch first).

You should have 60+ psi cold idle, 80 ish at 4000 rpm
20+ psi hot idle, 60+ 4k

I wouldn't run it myself... I'd yank the barrels off and see what is up. You can check the galley plug with the cylinders off (but fixing it is a case split job). If you have lost the plug there is going to be a big bang soon - you say the pistons are knocking? How do you know it's not the big end or the mains? Pretty unusual for the pistons to knock on these unless they were overbored with loose tolerances.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I'd pull the oil filter and cut it open to see what, if anything, is in it. If the plug is coming out, you should see a lot of aluminum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts