Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil light comes on at idle and as soon as I go into gear and take off it goes out. I had an issue a a month or so ago where as I was riding two up and after 8 hours of riding with this young lady on the back of my Biposto 2005 749D we hit the nearest hotel rested up then in the morning we went to gas up and i noticed the oil light came on so I naturally checked the oil level and it was down below the the site glass and so i topped it off and booted her to the curb(JK lol) thinking that it was to much weight on the ole girl. I actually was riding with friends and so we put her on one of their bikes and I road home without any issues well i rode her an extra 500 miles without any problems until the other day, the light came back on and stayed on at idle but went out in gear. I drained the oil to check for any metal debris thinking maybe the engine is getting tired at 43,000 miles but I found none but maybe a little on the magnet of the plug. I checked the switch and it looks fine but don't know what it would look like damaged. any help or ideas will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Probably the cheapest easiest way to start is replace the pressure switch that controls the light and see if the problem goes away.

I wouldn't ride the bike until I figured out whether or not you have low oil pressure or if it's just the switch... there are also gauges you can buy that screw into the oil filler hole but they're tough to read while you're riding. Such a gauge would tell you what the oil pressure is at idle and at higher RPMs, and you could compare that to what it should be.

Do you check your oil regularly, like before every ride? If not it's a really good habit to get into as you don't want that light coming on halfway across the Mojave desert... If it gets low enough to trigger the oil pressure warning lamp, it is WAY further down than it ever should be. If the oil pump is low enough to cavitate it puts more wear and tear on it as well as the rest of the engine starving for oil.

Nothing puts more premature wear on an engine than lack of (or worn out) oil. Well, okay, sugar in the gas tank, or running without an air filter may be worse, but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Nothing puts more premature wear on an engine than lack of (or worn out) oil. Well, okay, sugar in the gas tank, or running without an air filter may be worse, but you know what I mean.
U forgot -- And the wench on the back !!

Just jesting.

But it is a great idea to MEASURE the pressure that you have, and try to relate the numbers to reality. It's either low pressure at (hot) idle, or it's a marginal pressure switch.

Reactions: ducati168

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Well I am a bit confused here.

In this post by you https://www.ducati.ms/forums/241-tech-forum/714677-oil-level-site-glass.html
you have a crack in your site (actually sight) glass.

Maybe that is the reason for losing oil pressure rather than carrying extra weight, albeit a young lady, who then went for a ride with someone else.

Digressing to a technical point, did you check the oil level in the "site" glass with the bike cold, not running, upright as in not on the side/kickstand etc.

Just my opinion/experience, but I find it is usually best to keep issues/problems in one thread.

E.g. and extreme - one thread for my left signal is not working and another thread my right signal is not working.
Mmmm maybe they are related.

Also, it could be something really simple like a crap connection etc. I know unfortunately and not planned, that riding in really heavy rain can make the oil pressure light activate.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
you need to check the pressure with a gauge, but with that many km it wouldn't surprise me that the pressure was a bit low at idle. possibly worn end plate on the pump allowing oil to bleed off or the plug coming out of the big end of the crank.

what oil is in it? a 10w40 wouldn't help for instance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the info i"ll look into that, I am religious about my oil changes and since it ran low that one time I am constantly looking at the level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thank you for making me feel stupid for the misspelling. Well actually it was about the oil light but I felt I would give as much information as possible. The deal with the young lady was when it happened and I was joking about kicking her to the curb, just lightening up the subject I guess, anyhow getting back to the subject at hand I appreciate you reaching out and for the advice. BTW I will try and stay on top of the spelling I didn't figure on getting corrected out the gate but it is what it is I guess. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
...I will try and stay on top of the spelling I didn't figure on getting corrected out the gate but it is what it is I guess. Thank you.
Don't agonize, er, agonise.. oh hell, don't take too much of what you read here seriously, as life's too short. Well, except the technical info since there's a lot of knowledge vested in this group. Just remember that owning an Italian motorcycle demands a sense of humor er, humour? Spellng is relative between regions, countries, and across time, for Fooksake.

Welcome and good luck with your rig. I'd test with a pressure gauge [did i spell that right, guys?], and if its low, search this forum using the terms "Ducati [insert your model] low oil pressure light."

Reactions: ducati168 and Punch

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I always run 20-50 wt oil in my older bikes, along with a bit of STP in the ones that don’t share oil between clutch and engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bbradsby you're right i shouldn't, as for having a sense of humor owning this machine i have tons of it, lol. 43k miles worth on this one alone to be exact but that's here nor there, I just need to get through this one problem and work on the next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts