Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today i changed the oil as a 5000 km small service on my ST2.

Drained the oil, put new oil in, disconnected the sparkplug leads, turned the engine over, but the light stayed on.

So started doing some checks. Removed the oil pressure switch, and with my footpump, is tested wether the switch was bad, No it wasn't. So also no electrical fault, because after putting pressure on the switch, the light would go out.

With the pressure switch removed, i could see the oil was beeing pumped, because it would come out of the hole where the switch sits.

Drained all the oil again, and found something horrific.

Metal particles. But a big to big to not be worried about it.

Bottomline.

Not happy. espacially because i have a trackday coming up in 15 days. that's not going to happen. Oh and the fact it will cost a buttload of money, that too. And i'll ride my car to work everyday. Crap!

Anybody had something similar happen?

so after 77.900 km (48.400 Miles). its over and out.

Greetz
Thanas

·
Registered
209 Posts
i think the engine needs to be running in order for the mechanical pump to develop sufficient pressure to activate the sending unit and turn out the light. you might want to attach a pressure gauge and get a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Confirm you first filled the new filter with oil prior to install? That's the proper procedure with a filter mounted like Ducatis. I'd do that, reinstall, and try once again...just to be sure.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
i think the engine needs to be running in order for the mechanical pump to develop sufficient pressure to activate the sending unit and turn out the light. you might want to attach a pressure gauge and get a more accurate reading.
+1

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did everything like it should've been done, but to no prevail.

So i read the comment about it might need some revs before the pressure comes back.

Since i thought the engine was dead enyway, i thought, what the heck.

So connected the ignition, started the bike, and with some revs the light would go out. After that i disconnected the ignition again and turned the bike over. And then the light did go out. Then after the 5th time starting the bike, the light would just go out every time. And no strange...no wait....no noises stranger than usual.

Weird.

Do know it's ok right now, so not going to worry about it anymore.

I guess i just over reacted a bit when i saw some metal fillings in the oil. because it actually wasn't that much. Actually only 3 pieces orso, just that one was kind of big. But probably from the gearbox anyway, since it feels a bit chunky.

Anyway.

Normally after changing oil, i would always crank the engine over a few times, with ignition disconnected, till the oil light goes out, with both cars and bikes. Always worked.

Happy again. Saw my riding career come to a hold for a while, and all of a sudden all is well again.

So 77.900 km and still going.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oil Filter

I've read the oil filter should be filled only 1/2 way. Filling the filter completely full and then installing could hinder the draw of the pump. Not sure why. I do the 1/2 full thing and it works for me.

One other oil filter trick (read about it and tried it): Use 'old' drain oil to lubricate the rubber seal on the oil filter. It keeps the seal from sticking inside the housing at filter removal time. I thought this was bunk, but it really works. Used new oil on the seal and and it stuck. Maybe it is just a cycle thing (or duck thing, heat, etc.), but I do it all the time now. Just sayin'...YMMV

Thanks, LT! (I've read...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts