Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a long European trip during the early stages of which the Oil Light came on.
I stopped and investigated but was unable to find reason so continued our trip and have since returned to the UK and replaced the Oil Light Switch (above the clutch) believing that was probably faulty after nearly 50,000 Mls however this proved not to be the case.

Not sure how the switch works but as it only has one wire going to it wondered whether this might be a faulty earth matter ?
(I'm not great with electrics but should be able to find a bad wire if I know where to start looking)

I was riding yesterday and it did fade off for a short while but then returned and appears to get brighter with more revs.

Just to confirm , no oil leaks , plenty of oil and the temperature guage stays within its normal operation range.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
887 Posts
It could be a simple wiring issue but still, I can't believe you are riding it without proof of such. I mean, what's the point of having a low pressure warning light if it is ignored through multiple fill-ups?:confused:

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Disconnect the wire, light should go off.

Connect wire to ground, light should come on.

Otherwise, a wiring problem.

If wiring is OK, I have had a problem with moisture in the switch turning the light on.

Tom

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Light goes off when wire removed.
Switch is brand new so no water.

Regarding running with light on - Had to be practical at the time of the fault originally occurring - was in the middle of Germany on a motorway.
Temperature gauge stayed absolutely normal leading upto and after light coming on with no sign of a reason when stopped and checked so cruised cautiously for a while to our destiantion without any problem with engine running so taped it over for the rest of the trip but kept an eye on the temperature for an indication of over-heating due to lack of lubrication.
It has covered +2000Mls since the light came on so am 100% confident its not an actual oil issue but wasn't sure how the switched activated.
by the sounds it goes to earth so if I have a rubbed wire I assume it will do the same thing ?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
With only one wire it has to ground somewhere. I would check continuity from the unit to ground with it disconnected.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Light goes off when wire removed.
Switch is brand new so no water.

Regarding running with light on - Had to be practical at the time of the fault originally occurring - was in the middle of Germany on a motorway.
Damn inconvenient, but I would verify low oil pressure or faulty warning system at the earliest possible opportunity.
Temperature gauge stayed absolutely normal leading upto and after light coming on with no sign of a reason when stopped and checked so cruised cautiously for a while to our destiantion without any problem with engine running so taped it over for the rest of the trip but kept an eye on the temperature for an indication of over-heating due to lack of lubrication.
I would not expect the engine to over-heat when oil pressure fell below the level required to keep all the plain bearings happy.
It has covered +2000Mls since the light came on so am 100% confident its not an actual oil issue
These are tough engines so I would not assume that pressure is normal simply because 2000 miles have passed without seizure. Oil flow could be partially blocked leaving the pressure just barely adequate for moderate loads.

You really need to investigate why your low oil pressure warning is illuminating.

by the sounds it goes to earth so if I have a rubbed wire I assume it will do the same thing ?
But you said the warning light goes off when you disconnect the wire from the pressure sender?

Why not take an Ohmmeter to the sender when the engine is running? If you don't have continuity to ground then your sender is indicating good pressure.

A check that is important for all riders is to make sure the low oil pressure light comes on each time the ignition is turned on.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's best to VERIFY what kind of pressure you have. It could be that you're running on the low side, and the light is telling you that you have an oil pressure issue!

To verify, you'll need to either have a dealer check it, or borrow a mechanical gauge and put it in place of the sender (temporarily).

I'm not sure what pressure is good vs. low. But I would guess that 30psi or above, at idle and/or at a higher RPM should be OK.

The oil pumps have been known to have excessive clearances, resulting in bad oil pressure.

Or, it could be that both old and new senders are wrong? You need to find out. We call these things "idiot lights", because they make you run around like an idiot, until you find the cause. Gauges are so much better (but the Idiot light does draw your attention...)

Note that on ANY vehicle, if/when the oil light comes on, you really should NOT run the engine, until you determine the cause.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was following a friends blog about his trip from Virginia to Alaska earlier this summer. He has a MS. Oil light came on and they eventually concluded it was a faulty sender or electrical. He continued and it eventually granaded in Alberta, Canada. Upon teardown it appears that the oil screen backed out and blocked some or most of the oil flow causing the failure. Not sure how many miles he went with the light on but it was several days. Just a thought.

Jeff

·
Registered
220 Posts
If as you say the light goes off when the wire is disconnected then it doesn't sound like a wiring short to ground - if that were the case the light would stay on. Sounds like maybe the sensor isn't bad either, it just may be that it is telling you the oil pressure is low for real.

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Guys - I guess I will have to check the pressure but not sure how to go about that , May have to go to a dealer , Damn !

Will check the screen first to see if that indicates anything going on.
I was running with a friend yesterday for 110 Mls at speeds upto 90-100 mph with my wife on the back without any suspect signs from the engine but as don't need to ride her I will try to get to the bottom of this problem before taking her out again.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Hook up a pressure gauge to where the sender mounts. Evoluzione sells an inexpensive one.

http://www.evoluzione.net/

I would first check to make sure that the oil pump clearances are not out of spec, and that the driven gear oil seal is OK. Your service manual will give you the details.

The oil pressure should be as follows:

cold idle - at least 2.5 bar
hot idle - at least 1.1 bar
3,500 - 4,000 rpm - 4-6 bar

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hook up a pressure gauge to where the sender mounts. Evoluzione sells an inexpensive one.

http://www.evoluzione.net/

I would first check to make sure that the oil pump clearances are not out of spec, and that the driven gear oil seal is OK. Your service manual will give you the details.

The oil pressure should be as follows:

cold idle - at least 2.5 bar
hot idle - at least 1.1 bar
3,500 - 4,000 rpm - 4-6 bar
Thanks for the specs - Should I be able to remove the Oil-Pump without emptying the oil ?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,073 Posts
Before going to the shop and spending a lot of money try this simple little check first. Pull the oil filter and check for a screwed up by pass spring. When you pull it just look down inside and compare it to the new one. You probably need to change the oil after your trip anyway.

·
Registered
887 Posts
OK Guys - I guess I will have to check the pressure but not sure how to go about that , May have to go to a dealer , Damn !
I'm not sure you need to go to the dealer.

My previous post had an easy method to read the sender directly.

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to post a conclusion to this thead.

Drained the oil today and checked the screen filter to find it had unscrewed.
Wound it back in , tight , and no more oil light.:)

I checked the screen and oil for contamination and nothing obvious showing but no way of really knowing whether this has shortended the engine life , will just have to see.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just to post a conclusion to this thead.

Drained the oil today and checked the screen filter to find it had unscrewed.
Wound it back in , tight , and no more oil light.:)

I checked the screen and oil for contamination and nothing obvious showing but no way of really knowing whether this has shortended the engine life , will just have to see.
Wow, glad you finally found the problem and remedied the situation! Not to be negative but I can't see how this would NOT have shortened the life of some of the critical components because the oil light was on steady and it is designed to stay off even during idle oil pressure which is much less than normal running pressure. The plain bearings require a certain pressure to avoid metal to metal contact under load (and therefore galling of the bearing surfaces) and this pressure is almost certainly higher than oil pressure at idle.

If it goes another 20,000 without bearing failure I want to know what kind of oil you use!

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, glad you finally found the problem and remedied the situation! Not to be negative but I can't see how this would NOT have shortened the life of some of the critical components because the oil light was on steady and it is designed to stay off even during idle oil pressure which is much less than normal running pressure. The plain bearings require a certain pressure to avoid metal to metal contact under load (and therefore galling of the bearing surfaces) and this pressure is almost certainly higher than oil pressure at idle.

If it goes another 20,000 without bearing failure I want to know what kind of oil you use!
Sadly Mike I agree but nothing more I can do now so will just have to wait it out and see what happens. If she fails then at least I'll know why and at 48,000 Mls I will be happier than I anticipated when buying her 5 years ago.
To put a positive slant on it , my philophsy will be "An opportnuty to upgrade !"

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm glad you fixed you problem.

I'm just a little confused on finding the unscrewed screen filter. I would think low oil pressure is from 1 of 3 things. A dirty oil filter, low oil or a bypass valve. I was wondering if you inspected the filter.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm glad you fixed you problem.

I'm just a little confused on finding the unscrewed screen filter. I would think low oil pressure is from 1 of 3 things. A dirty oil filter, low oil or a bypass valve. I was wondering if you inspected the filter.
If the sump screen is not properly torqued it can back out. One end of the screen is solid and this solid area can block the oil intake just below the oil pump leading to low oil flow and pressure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts