Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally random issue here and looking for advice/suggestions.
No issues prior to this, as I started the bike up for a routine Saturday ride and noticed my oil light stayed on while the bike warmed up. It has plenty of oil and can see it is circulating through the site glass. However once I shift to 1st gear it turns off, shift back to Neutral and it turns back on??
I started with the basics, drained oil, pulled filter, and screen to confirm everything was solid. I even replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor and still no change....stays on only when in neutral and turns off when shifting to a gear.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Wiring to your oil pressure switch. Seriously. I had the oil pressure light come on, on my 996 while at the WCM recently. Turned out, as soon as I wiggled the wire, the light went out. Felt like the wire strands were broken inside the insulation.

I had issues with the switch before, as oil was weeping out around the plastic insert. I replaced it, and that solved the issue, or so I thought.

The reason the light goes off when you put the bike in gear is the neutral light turns off. The neutral light and oil pressure light are both on the same circuit. So, once the circuit is interrupted, the light goes off. In that case, your oil pressure switch may be stuck.

All I got mang.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok will have to check that out, is there a fuses attached to the oil light?
FWIW, I disconnected the connection plug from the oil pressure switch while the bike was running to see if the light would turn off....nope stayed on!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Change the sensor. They fail to safe. ie: when the sensor dies, the light comes on.
Yep, changed it out and still comes on, but only in neutral and off when shifting into gear. SMH?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The light goes off when the switch completes the circuit. IE, the circuit has to have both a positive and a ground.

IIRC the ground occurs at the switch. The positive is at the light itself. When you shift into gear, the neutral light circuit is completed. Because the two are on the same circuit your oil pressure switch now has a path to ground through the neutral light circuit.

If the wire to the oil pressure switch is compromised and the circuit can not complete its path to ground, any other possible path to ground will be taken. It’s like water. Current will follow the path of least resistance

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes sense and appreciate the explanation. Looks like I need to follow the wire and find when it’s faulty. Thx!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts