Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've washed my bike twice so far this season. My washing involves about a 20 minute spray down with s100 cleaner and water from a garden hose, nothing too high pressure.

I've had my red oil light come on both times and stay on for about 10 minutes after i start the bike up, it then flickers a few times and goes out on it's own.

I assume it has something to do with the water doing something to the electronics somwhere.

Any guesses?

Are there parts of the bike I shouldn't be getting wet? I'm not spraying into the exhausts pipes or anything stupid like that.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
You failed to tell us about your bike...model and year. Anyway, the older bikes seem to have sensors that fail, leak, and come on w/ water trapped under the rubber boot. The sender is near your oil fill cap. Peel back to boot, and dry it out right after your next washing, and see if that fixes it.

On my bike, the sender went south, and I replaced it w/ a VW sender.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
hawc said:
sorry, it's a brand new Sport 1000.

Great, thanks. Not 100% sure about the new senders, but it still couldn't hurt to peel back the boot, or unplug it (or both), and see if it's wet, green, etc.

Brand new? Have your dealer replace it under warranty...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've learned to never wash my bike. I take off the fairings and wash them. On Superbikes at least it's so quick you might as well not risk it. If you need to wash the tank or something like that just use one of those spray on cleaners. If you need to wash wheels then you don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
IMHO you should not be using a sprayer or hose nozzle on the bike, especially anywhere near the seat or engine area. There are too may places where water can enter and screw up the electronics [e.g., by "crossing circuits" so to speak].

I fill a bucket with mild soap and hot water and gently wash the painted surfaces with a soft clean towel. I use a toilet brush on the wheels.

I rinse with hot water, but the water is in two gallon plastic bottles, with long spouts, so I can pour the water where needed.

I do use a garden hose on the wheel areas, but I do NOT have the nozzle set to spray or blast mode.

Seems to me to fix the current issue [pun intended], simply let the bike dry out for a week, so the water that is on the circuits evaporates. Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts