Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a crack in my oil level sight glass and I want to replace it with a new one but cant find a link to learn how to properly replace and install a new one. Is there someone out there that can help point me in the right direction? Thank you ahead of time.:grin2:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I haven't done one myself but from reading on another site they said there was a step but it only goes halfway around. I think they said the step was at the bottom. If so you could tap it in at the top to try to get it to flip and then pull out with pliers. Same way as with a core/welch plug.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
The sight glass is basically an oil seal with a glass window. You should be able to cut round the outer edge, pull out the glass and gently lever out the seal. It's easier if you have the side cover removed. Just tap the new one in flush using the correct size socket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe these are similar to the ones BMW use on their GS range. I used a flat head screwdriver at the edge of the glass and seal, removed the glass (sometimes in pieces) and then pulled the oil seal out. Clean the mating surfaces and press the new dry seal in by hand to begin with. Then move to a socket or flat bearing driver to finish. There should be a step for it to butt up against.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts