Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after my previous post RE: finding some bits of gasket material floating around in the sump on my first oil change i've now become obsessed with the 900SS (carbed) oil flow system & potential blockages ..:crazy:

*When started cold the oil in the level sight glass drops to below the sight line & you see oil going through the bottom of the hole in the window ..*but after its warmed up sometimes on mine i can see oil sorta sitting level a few mm above the bottom of the sight glass ....now this is probably quite normal?(one hopes) & its because i've never really studied it before..

Just to clarify ...this is when the bikes on a rearstand ...the oil pressure light appears to be working fine & i've seen Oil spurting out of the filter cartridge hole when cranking the motor & also pulled off & checked its getting pumped through the external lines to the heads...so i'm assuming the pumps fine ..

·
Registered
954 Posts
You worry too much. :p

To get a real-time reading of whats in your bike, fit a front paddock stand as well, this will get the bike level and also means you dont have to faff holding the bike upright to see what the level is?

Check the level with the engine COLD, expect them to use a little oil on long/hot runs. ;)

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Mine does the same thing, don't bother with it until the oil has settled back into the sump, then check for the proper oil level

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
The oil sight glass shows the level of oil when the bike has been sitting for a while (after about half an hour since running to be sure) and is vertical, like on race stand and the oil has had time to drain back into the sump.

This then shows the "true" level/amount of oil in the bike.

As soon as you start the engine, oil is pumped from the sump into the engine and galley ways and therefore the sight glass level will go down because some is in the engine etc.

There is a significant difference between the level shown when the bike is on the side/kick stand and when the bike is vertical. Check it on the side/kick stand then get a buddy to hold the bike vertical for even just a minute and you will see a big change in the sight glass.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Many owners of the early models with the spring loaded sidestand had the joyous experience of standing their bike erect while kneeling on the right side to view the oil level. "Poung!" went the side stand as it retracted. "Achhh!" went the owner as he sat there trying to figure how to get out of the fix he was in without the bike falling over. Anti-spring mechanisms were big sellers back then. :D

-don

·
Registered
506 Posts
The thing that gets me, is the sight glass is what, 30mm in diameter, but the "full" line is at the very very bottom of the glass. Why not just move the glass down 10 or 15mm and put the line in the middle?

Italians...:rolleyes:

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
The thing that gets me, is the sight glass is what, 30mm in diameter, but the "full" line is at the very very bottom of the glass. Why not just move the glass down 10 or 15mm and put the line in the middle?

Italians...:rolleyes:
Oh, its weirder than that... When asked why "Max" was so low on the glass and thus how one would know the safest low point, Ducati's official response was that "Max" is the low point. It is the "maximum you can let it go down. " After that we all filled it to mid to high window.

Get it? Got it. Good!

-don

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Oh, its weirder than that... When asked why "Max" was so low on the glass and thus how one would know the safest low point, Ducati's official response was that "Max" is the low point. It is the "maximum you can let it go down. " After that we all filled it to mid to high window.

Get it? Got it. Good!

-don
They must of had problems with that - just read the last couple of posts, and thought "I'm sure mine isn't like that"? - so I went out to the shed and checked.
My SL (bought in the UK in '95) has a small black metal plate attached beside the oil sight glass, with Max and Min lines on it. Max is around the middle of the sight glass, Min is near the bottom of it.

Maybe it was something the UK importers figured would reduce the number of warranty claims? :think:

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
They must of had problems with that - just read the last couple of posts, and thought "I'm sure mine isn't like that"? - so I went out to the shed and checked.
My SL (bought in the UK in '95) has a small black metal plate attached beside the oil sight glass, with Max and Min lines on it. Max is around the middle of the sight glass, Min is near the bottom of it.

Maybe it was something the UK importers figured would reduce the number of warranty claims? :think:
No, I think that was generic, not just UK. After a few years of confusion even Ducati catches on and says "oh...yeah..."

My 2007 GT, whose DS motor had newer castings, had both upper and lower level lines. Neither says "Max." :p

-don

·
Premium Member
12,450 Posts
What is MAX upside downwhen you are bent over looking at it???
Makes one pull ones hair out with the explanations offered ...

How you holding up there DON???:D:cool::)

·
Registered
506 Posts

Get it? Got it. Good!

-don
WAT?!?!?! So I've been running at or slightly below the max min? Whatever the hell that means? I've seen some bizarre engineering, but a "Max" label for the minimum allowable level for anything is just absurd.:mad:

Italians...

(has a little different tone to it now...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts