Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
there is oil leaking from somewhere on the back of my motor. I'm not exactly sure where but I think it't somewhere close to the output sprocket. It may be the seal around it and that's the only thing I can think of that would fail so easily, but I can't tell for sure without a light (I'm just bending round on my knees in a parking lot).
I changed the oil a day or so ago but I wouldn't think this could be a result, though I may be wrong.
----------------------------------
I went to look at it again, and checked the oil level.. damnit if it ain't too much!.. I don't know how I did it, since I was so careful when adding it and cycled the motor over to make sure the oil was in the system.. I filled it to the bottom (min) line and now it's significantly over the max line.. at least it's only been a day and ridden 10 miles at most. hopefully nothing was ruined.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It would be almost too coincidental for it to happen after your changed your oil and not be related. Everything is nice and tight I suppose. Did you you a crush washer on the drain plug when you reinstalled it?

How many miles were on the bike when you first changed it?

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be almost too coincidental for it to happen after your changed your oil and not be related. Everything is nice and tight I suppose. Did you you a crush washer on the drain plug when you reinstalled it?

How many miles were on the bike when you first changed it?
I didn't use another crush washer, the existing washer is a copper bit (not sure if it's a crush washer or not). but I have been checking it (which is how I found the leak).
130 ish miles.
I think the problem is that I some how added too much oil and it's leaking through the output crank seal,, I plan on draining it again tonight and being much more careful in filling it.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
This caused me to go out and look at the bike. IN all my other ducs, an overfilled crankcase usually resulted in oil misting out of the crankcase breather pipe at the top back of the engine.

That said, I just looked at this, the sump has changed significantly since my last new duc which was a 99 996. So no more filter screen mesh insert to clean, what and where exactly is the sump drain on these bikes??

Chris

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a little plug just the the right side of the little black plate on the bottom of the sump.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How much oil did you put in?

I too had the overfill issue on my 996 when I added the recommended amount per the manual after an oil change so I cut back a half a liter each time and that ended up just right on that bike. I didn't leak to the ground like you are describing, just all over the crank case like zvez described.

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I drained the oil last night and put in more (checking the level by tilting the bike all over and cycling the motor to make sure it was everywhere it needed to be). I was super careful this time.
I checked it again this morning and it was a good level (just above the min line) but I think it's still leaking out somewhere near the output crank shaft.. it's not a lot but enough to start smoking on any significant riding, from dripping a little on the exhaust.
I think it will survive till the first maintenance trip. hopefully it either gets better or worse.

the oil crank case breather is still hooked up to the air box, so there is no where for it to go but either back into the crank case or get burned, but I haven't noticed any smoke from the tail pipes.. so I don't think it's pushing any significant oil through the breather.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well I drained the oil last night and put in more (checking the level by tilting the bike all over and cycling the motor to make sure it was everywhere it needed to be). I was super careful this time.
I checked it again this morning and it was a good level (just above the min line) but I think it's still leaking out somewhere near the output crank shaft.. it's not a lot but enough to start smoking on any significant riding, from dripping a little on the exhaust.
I think it will survive till the first maintenance trip. hopefully it either gets better or worse.

the oil crank case breather is still hooked up to the air box, so there is no where for it to go but either back into the crank case or get burned, but I haven't noticed any smoke from the tail pipes.. so I don't think it's pushing any significant oil through the breather.
Actually even with the breather attached properly, overfull crankcase will have oil pool around the crankcase breather at the base, but it certainly soundls like the output seal.

Chris

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How much oil did you put in?

I too had the overfill issue on my 996 when I added the recommended amount per the manual after an oil change so I cut back a half a liter each time and that ended up just right on that bike. I didn't leak to the ground like you are describing, just all over the crank case like zvez described.
It wasn't over filled that much. just a a little over the max line,, near the top of the window. I wouldn't have thought it was enough to damage it. I think it was just a little over 3 quarts. (when I was filling it, it was not above the min line by much, and it seemed fine after riding it the first day.. then the end of the second day I started it up to warm it up and noticed a little smoke ,, then I started looking under the bike, thinking I had maybe somehow not tightened the plug enough. but it was coming from a different location (the back of the motor).

I just got back from dropping it off at the dealer. I say let Ducati pay for whatever it is.. and fix it while they are at it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just got back from dropping it off at the dealer. I say let Ducati pay for whatever it is.. and fix it while they are at it.
Amen, Bro.

So how much oil did you put in? I'd like to know so when I do my oil change I have a ballpark idea.

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually even with the breather attached properly, overfull crankcase will have oil pool around the crankcase breather at the base, but it certainly soundls like the output seal.

Chris
I did look around the breather too.. I looked pretty dry and clean (nice feature of a new bike)

·
Registered
187 Posts
May i add a suggestion?

May I add a suggestion or thought?
Are you sure it is oil what is leaking? In my case i had the clutch slave leaking (very few drops and only when the bike was ridden and engine was hot) It was shown at your mentioned spots and occasionally dripped on the exhaust. I had them change two times before it was ok. Bear in mind the clutch fluid looks like extra clean oil and is oily to the hand too...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts