Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, I've got an oil leak. Looks like it's coming from where the left side case cover mates with the motor, right under the bottom frame/motor mount. You can sort of see where it's blowing back in the pic.

Going to the dealer is such a PITA for me I'm tempted to try and take care of it myself. Since all the bolts are tight, it's likely the gasket just failed. :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's an easy fix, there no gasket except the Ducati bond that they use. Ca-Cycleworks sells a gasket, but it's just as easy to lay down some gasket maker.

You will need some type of case puller, to take off correctly (I used a crank puller). Just keep the order of the bolts because there are three different sizes.

You might as well think about changing the flywheel too. I love my Nichols.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Greetings,

I had the same issue and when I brought the bike to the dealer, he advised me that there is a fuel vent hose that runs from directly under the cap to the same location and if you overfill the tank, and start spirited riding, fuel can vent through to that location.

I assume that is only case when the evaporative cannister has been removed....

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had the same leak here, then fixed under warranty. same result as 1hotrod indicates: re-bonded and refitted.. hasn't leaked since... very happy :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
would that happen to be the area where the vacuum cannister frame is mounted to the case? Mine was leaking after I removed the can because I didn't have enough torque on the fastener.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The first easy to do at home fix would be to remove the bolt(s) where the leak appears. Then add some gasket maker to the bolt holes and re-torque the bolts. I did this and the problem was fixed. I don't think it is necessary to pull the whole case cover, unless the leakage is severe or occuring in between the bolt areas.

Out!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first easy to do at home fix would be to remove the bolt(s) where the leak appears. Then add some gasket maker to the bolt holes and re-torque the bolts. I did this and the problem was fixed. I don't think it is necessary to pull the whole case cover, unless the leakage is severe or occuring in between the bolt areas.

Out!
There's a thought... I'll give it a whirl.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I meant remove not move, sorry. Anyway before I removed mine I was going to leave it on so I painted it with black undercoating spray paint. It is durable, cool texture, and makes the bracket disappear. Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts