Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak somewhere. There is oil come down the side of the motor and collectin around the front sprocket, it also collects in the belly pan. I notice a little bit of oil on top of the motor also in front of where the Breather threads onto the crank case. I think it might actually be my breather leaking!!
What do you guys think??

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
has no one had this problem??

·
Registered
304 Posts
could be the breather tube.... i haven't pulled my bike apart yet, but when I had the pre purchase inspection, the dealer noted that the left side of the motor above the countershaft sprocket had some stains. he said about 70 percent of the bikes he works on have this. he attributes it to the breather tube. again, not speaking from experience here.

maybe you had a slight oil overfill.

i will say this. when i had my Mille R, it used to puke oil through the breather on a regular basis. i eventually routed the breather down to the chain. voila, instant chain lube. who needs a scott oiler? :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Trying cleaning the bike of the oil, then put the bike on a stand and let it warm up/idle. Then try to look where the oil is coming from. Remember if you place the bike on the kickstand the oil could be coming from the right hand side (like around the oil breather) and moving down to the left of your bike.

·
Registered
364 Posts
one of two things.

Either your motor has too much oil and you are leaking out of the breather, or what is more likely than not is you are leaking oil from the rear head. (Quite common on the superbikes, fyi) Best of luck

N

·
0 Posts
my suggestion is to check for oil emanating from the clutch cover. (drops around or below) - apart from a slipping clutch, worst thing about this is a film of oil which ultimately coats the rhs of the rear tire, esp. with a vented cover. This brought me off my 996 a year ago - caused by a failed seal at the back of the clutch assembly. May or may not be applicable, but it took some time after the roadrash exposure to get to a root cause.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I messed with it some today. It seems to be coming from the breather tube right at the base. I also check my oil level and it is just a touch on the low side of perfect..... So how do I fix the oil breather leak?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Subscribing….

I have been thinking about this too, but I only have a minor amount of oil detected so far. I am looking at the STM oil breather for about $85 – it is pretty sexy and is supposed to have better control of the oil droplets. Section 8 has a setup they race with that uses the Corse valve in an aluminum breather for about 2.5x the price plus fitting because it just doesn’t drop in. I have only started to dig a little deeper on this issue only recently.

IF the STM improves blowby by, say 80%, and the Section 8 setup improves it by, say 90%+, where do you draw the line? Who has the better product value? On a slightly different angle, if the cross-sectional area of the breather tube was increased, wouldn’t the velocity slow down enough so that the oil could separate from the air stream and never make it far past the breather?

Im just bringing this up for conversational purposes because I have no data at this point to back that up. Im searching for answers that are parts related, not necessarily “use this oil” related.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts