Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ducati SS1000. I changed the oil and filter last summer and put 2000 miles on the bike. I stored it for the winter(removing the battery and covering it up in a cold garage). When I returned in the spring I noticed that there was a small pool of black oil under the motor. On an updated note, the bike has not been driven all summer as I have been away. I returned to my bike today and saw that the pool has grown a little. Is this normal because of extended(12 month) storage or should I be worried??

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2004 Ducati SS1000. I changed the oil and filter last summer and put 2000 miles on the bike. I stored it for the winter(removing the battery and covering it up in a cold garage). When I returned in the spring I noticed that there was a small pool of black oil under the motor. On an updated note, the bike has not been driven all summer as I have been away. I returned to my bike today and saw that the pool has grown a little. Is this normal because of extended(12 month) storage or should I be worried??

Cheers

Nick
is the oil coming from the engine? maybe the filter? before getting to worried i would find out where the oil is coming from.

maybe it is coming from the chain? i get oil dripping out from my front sprocket(very little - it doesn't drip onto the ground, just dribbles into the fairing).

pretty easy to look up and see where it is dripping from if the bike has been stationary. once ridden, the oil will be all over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
filter

sorry for taking so long to reply. looks like the leak is coming from the filter. I matched the filter on NAPA autoparts website. Could it be a bad filter or poor seal?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Certainly check the seal on the filter. If there was an debris on the filter seal when you put it on, it could cause a slow leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It definitely is a slowwwwww leak. Every day I go out and there is probably 5 or 6 drops on the floor.im gonna swap out the filters and see if that helps

·
Registered
322 Posts
your not using a citroen filter on a ducati now are you?:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts