Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after I got home today I was wiping down the clutch side cover when I notice what looked like oil spray on if and the starter. Looking further up I saw a droplet of oil sitting on the horizontal head belt cover. Pulled the cover and found a small puddle of oil resting on the bottom lip of the exhaust cam cover just below the cam gear. It looks like the oil is seeping out around the cam shaft end through the cover.

I've put just about 800 miles on the motor since I put it back in the bike after picking it up from ECS having done belt and valve adjustment and replacing one fubar rocker. Does anyone think I have any recourse for them to fix it or is it just one of those things that happens?

Also, is it just a matter of pulling the cam gear and replacing the cover? And if so, how will the cover swap affect the valve clearances?

Thanks for the help. Supposed to be riding out to Carlisle PA next weekend and would prefer to not have to clean oil off the side of the bike. Its a very, very light leak and could probably make the trip ok (oil level has not been affected) but if I can fix it during the week that would be better. Other wise I'll have to wait and just bring a rag lol.

Thanks for any input ya'll have.:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
You are correct on where it is coming from, I have the same leak. All you have to do is replace the cover. There is a rubber or hard plastic that holds the end of the camshaft and if disrupted too much a leak can occur. I have had the leak for some time now it is a very small leak. So having done several long trip rides I can tell you with certainty that it will be.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright cool. I'll clean it up for now and bring some tools and cleaning stuff and keep an eye on it for now. If it doesn't get any worse, then I'll just monitor it for now and sort in this fall when I can get it apart.

Thanks for the quick reply super dooper.:D

·
Registered
390 Posts
It sounds like it could be a couple of things. There is an skinny o-ring on the cam cover that could be leaking if they didn't replace it when pulling and putting the cam in and out. Or it could be the actual seal behind the cam weeping.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like it could be a couple of things. There is an skinny o-ring on the cam cover that could be leaking if they didn't replace it when pulling and putting the cam in and out. Or it could be the actual seal behind the cam weeping.

Hope this helps!
I doubt its the outer o-ring as if that had failed the oil would be coming out around the head from behind the cover. This leak in internal, so the oil has to be making it past the the cam seal behind the roller bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts