Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 ST2. When I ride for a short distance-say less than 50 miles I do not see any oil leaking. When I ride all day-200-350 miles I have a leak. I believe its from the blow off device. Mine is the aluminum collar style which I understand is to have known issues.

Does this make sense to anyone why I would leak oil only on longer rides? Even yesterday I went for a short ride, 50 miles, rode the bike fairly hard on highway 1 south of Monterey. Twisties, fast straights, etc..

Could temperature have something to do with it all? On my ride yesterday it was overcast and cool. On my recent longer ride it was about 100(f) outside.

Thanks for any input.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I have heard that the leak could be coming from the tubing i where it connects to the breather, check for a loose clamp or cracks in the tubing. Go ahead and remove the breather and check it for obstructions. It has a bleed hole in it so if any oil bleeds back it will drain back into the crankcase. That may be why you only notice a slight leak after a long ride. I picked up a used aftermarket one off ebay and have not had a problem since. Hope this helps,
Max

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Well, the longer you ride, the more that the oil will get splashed around. Although the difference between 50mi and 200mi should not matter as much as the difference between say 15mi and 50mi.

I can say that oil doesn't come to full temp until something after 15mi (oil temp being very different than coolant temp). I know this because during the winter months when commuting I get oil foam from condensation that only goes away on 50mi + rides or once the weather warms up even if I tape off the oil cooler.

The bigger issue is that oil is leaving the engine in proximity to your rear tire. Being that the "improved" breather is $10, I think, that isn't a big issue. Removing and installing it is. I believe folks have had luck using the adjustable rubber strap wrenches.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
also make sure your oil level is correct...between the lines on the sight glass. Overfilled will contribute to the issue too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts