Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved 2000 750 SS that I have owned since new revealed an engine leak last week from the lower case split after starting the bike for the first time all winter.

The case was leaking down on the the exhaust and I could see it burning off. I've never leaked oil on this bike before and have owned it since new. I checked the oil level and it's fine and also did not see anything significant in my fairing or on the floor so I believe this started when I started the bike up.

The dealer is telling me two things that I'd like to verify with the board here;

1 - This is a big job with a minimum $1,000 labor charge alone to take out the engine and split the halves of the case.

2 - That the valve adjustment they did last year - the first for this bike - would not have had anything to do with a leak.

Does this sound right?

If this is right, is this a job I could handle myself? I'm a reasonably competent mechanic, however I've never removed or opened an engine.

Lastly, if I am going to open the engine, should I think about any mods? Years ago I read about a piston upgrade for the 750SS that Fast by Ferraci sold. Not sure if it's still around or even worth it.

As always, appreciate the input from this forum.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Check the sidestand mount to the engine case. The leak may appear to be at the seam of the cases but could be coming from a crack near the sidestand bolts. Hopefully the cause of the leak is something less dramatic.

good luck with the repair

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
321 Posts
Id check that the leak is coming from the crankcase join 1st. other areas that could leak and run down to the bottom are either side case cover (alternator or clutch) and sometime the oil filters leak due to crap tolerance on the oem filter base (K&N filters seem better in this area- I've had 3 oem filters that leak until over torqued up). Also check the sump plug and oil screen plug on RHS. Oil leaks from valve covers would show up around the lower edge. PS clean it up and put some talc on the suspect areas if you cant see where its coming from as the oil will leave tracks in the talc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the sidestand mount to the engine case. The leak may appear to be at the seam of the cases but could be coming from a crack near the sidestand bolts. Hopefully the cause of the leak is something less dramatic.

good luck with the repair
Thanks. Checked it out tonight and it's possible the oil is coming from the sidestand bolts, but no cracks to be seen.

Ducati Piston Kit- 90mm 750ss Sport paso | eBay

785cc!! :cool:

Barrels would need to be bored & replated, you would also need your timing retarded slightly and/or a bigger oil cooler... more power=more heat. ;)
Appreciate the link. Not sure I'm motivated to go this far, but it's good to know what is out there.

Id check that the leak is coming from the crankcase join 1st. other areas that could leak and run down to the bottom are either side case cover (alternator or clutch) and sometime the oil filters leak due to crap tolerance on the oem filter base (K&N filters seem better in this area- I've had 3 oem filters that leak until over torqued up). Also check the sump plug and oil screen plug on RHS. Oil leaks from valve covers would show up around the lower edge. PS clean it up and put some talc on the suspect areas if you cant see where its coming from as the oil will leave tracks in the talc.
Great tip here. I'm going to pull the fairings off this week, clean up the engine and try to get a better look at where the leak is coming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts