Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s seemingly not a major leak. Only a few drops a day (cold) but when she warms up she gets pretty wet (we’re not talking dodgy movies here!). I was having a fun little ride this afternoon until I had a little slide and could have met my maker through being beaten up by Armco. That has elevated the issue to IPORTANT. I have lost my confidence cornering this beauty.

It’s the left side of the lower casing that gets wet with a thin film all over, with pooling on those horizontal ribs and drops coming from the casing bolts, some smoking off the pipe and some lubricating my rear tyre.

I’m at a loss as to where the leak is coming from. It is not from the cylinders. The highest level of oiliness is just above the side stand plate, near the front sprocket - but not coming from the front sprocket shaft. I recall somewhere on this forum about side stand and oil leak. Not to lead anyone towards any conclusions, just mentioning it.

While cleaning up (again) in the hope of identifying the source when it continues, I found a side stand mounting bolt that was un-torqued. I can’t see that having anything to do with it, but maybe, as I mentioned above, a link between oil leak and side stand. Confusing? Yes! Insight appreciated. Any seasoned SS owners have any hints?

Pictures attached. (1) general oil smear everywhere and drops under casing bolts. (2) more of the same from higher up. I removed the front sprocket cover and it’s not coming from the drive shaft. (3) The bolt that is partially behind the side stand plate was the one that was slightly loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
Two thoughts:-
1. Clutch slave cylinder leaking?
2. Thoroughly clean the entire area (use brake cleaner or similar) and once dry, puff talcum powder over the area. Run the engine for a while, ride around for 5 minutes, operate the clutch a lot, change through the gears, the origin of the leak should become apparent.
3. Brush the talc off your trousers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Having had carb-y SuperSports and a M900 I will say it's likely to be the clutch slave cylinder because:

- The original design was prone to its piston seal being broke by allowing debris to enter between and past the piston seal

- The original CSC leaking is a more common issue by orders of magnitude in comparison to other seals in that area that may run awry. It happened on all three of my carbies.

- Access the CSC by simply removing the front sprocket gaurd. Do you see oil immediately above it? If not, then: is there oil below it and to the sides only? If so, it's probably the CSC. It spreads everywhere once it reaches a location where the wind will blow it in all directions, including underneath the case. I had a leaking crankcase breather once and I could not believe the places oil had ended up.

- About $40 USD buys you a rebuild kit from the Ducati dealership. IIRC it is a piston, spring, and seal of updated design.

Or spend $80 USD and pick up a used Oberon which will probably outlast our lives. They are bullet-proof and you will probably never have to worry about your CSC again. It has a firmer spring IIRC (someone verify please!)

Good luck =)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Leaking kick stand seal, or LKS as it’s known to enlightened Ducatisti.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Curious about the non-oem aluminum plate the side stand bracket is bolted to, the sidestand bracket should bolt directly to the engine case with nothing in between was it broken in a crash? if so look there. Pull the three bolts holding the slave and look at the clutch pushrod o-rings, there are 2 small o-rings on the shaft and if old/flat it will leak oil past them.

I would take spinoli1's advice and start by cleaning and degreasing first and then powder things if it is leaking bad enough to drip that quickly it should show up pretty soon and be easy to spot. I would not ride it if it is getting back on the tire either as that could be life altering and you do not want to go there.

Make sure you torqued the oil filter as well you would be surprised at how many bikes come in the shop with leaking oil filters because they were not tightened properly.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the words guys. Now I have a few good leads to follow.

Ducvet, that extra plate that my side stand is bolted to, I had no idea it wasn’t original. Eek! Will investigate and discover what horrors lie beneath. Oil filter is nicely sealed.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
That is not the normal plate for the kickstand, hope the bolt was not too long for it,...

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
If I was a gambling man I would say that someone broke the sidestand mounting boss off the cases and used the plate to give a new mount. The case can be broken by leaving a sidestand bolt loose for too long and the additional leverage breaks the case or in a crash where the sidestand was down such as when people defeat the auto retract sidestand and drive off with the bike.

Either way I do not see them leak at this point usually so don't panic yet, the repair should function fine how they have done it or you can find a good welder and have the case repaired if I am right. This is what I usually do , weld repair the case and then drill/tap and helicoil the repaired hole. Again if done right there is nothing wrong with what they have done.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Looking closely at that plate it seems the foreward bolt threads are exposed behind the plate and it seems the boss on the case is broken out. Common damage when the kickstand bolts have come loose and the worst happens. Probably has a cracked crankcase and the oil is from the sump. Bummer!

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Bad news, but if everything’s working fine you may be able to seal the leak .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, good news. It is not a case leak. The plate is there for a broken thread and, for now at least, is an acceptable fix until I can weld and cut a new thread, as ducvet commented on.

The leak comes from behind the clutch slave. After a good clean up and a test ride with the side stand and sprocket cover removed it soon revealed itself. See photos.

It’s definitely engine oil. Nice expensive Motul 4T. My thinking is that it must be coming from oil seal/o-ring on the clutch push rod? I am away from home for a few days but I will remove the clutch slave when I get home to have a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pull the three bolts holding the slave and look at the clutch pushrod o-rings, there are 2 small o-rings on the shaft and if old/flat it will leak oil past them.
Ducvet said it here. This is number one suspect. Will get onto it in a couple of days.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Aftermarket Viton o-rings tend to be a smidge larger in o.d compared to o.e . New stock o-rings felt a little loose to me so I used some from my assortment box.

Reactions: Hot Air
1 - 14 of 14 Posts