Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a 1997 748 and I noticed when it got real hot last week I saw some drops of oil around my clutch cover when I got back from a long ride. I thought no big deal just some oil from my filler cap or oil filter so I checked every thing and wiped up the oil. I rode for a few days and nothing. I rode to MotoGP and everything was normal (no Oil).

I went for a ride and rode pretty hard (revving to 12k) and got back to find some oil in the same spots (a few small drops). I wiped the Oil up and went out for a quick ride down the street to see where the oil was leaking from. I got back and I was smoking like Uncle Bucks car! no joke. Oil was everywhere! all over the headers, Clutch cover, faring, & Engine. I wiped it up and started there bike to see where the oil was coming from but its not leaking. So I'm thinking it needs to be under torque??

My friend who owns a Duc said it may be my main seal on the crank... I have 23,000 miles and just had it serviced (about 2,000 miles ago) having the valves done and Rockers hardened among all other recommended services fort he milage.

She runs and sounds awesome but I can figure this oil thing out quit yet. and I was wondering if this is a known issue with this model.

I want to take it in but I want to do some research before I drop $180 for a diagnostic check.

-Bill

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
+1 Breather - check both where it comes out the engine to where it connects to the airbox.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Were you pulling wheelies? Just a question. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is smoking because of Oil on the header.. not out exhaust.

I believe that it is the seal behind the clutch. when I ride it oil is all over the clutch cover.. last time I rode it blew Oil all over the tire, rim, faring and engine.

If I just start it and rev it nothing happens!

I have been known to hook a wheelie or two r three but this has never happened before and I have had the bike on one wheel a few times.

Im going to pull the clutch out and see if there is oil behind it.

I did check the breather but no more oil then normal.

·
Registered
357 Posts
For peace of mind you should prop the tank up and check the inside of your airbox. Just to see if there's not a bunch of oil sitting in there. Hope you can resolve your problem soon.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Clutch pushrod seal. Pretty regular thing.
Yes, mine leaked last year - not much but enough to cause clutch slip and then some smoke after the drips hit the exhaust.

Good thing is the part is cheap and relatively easy to change, I'd advise you get a spare for the future (as with fuel fitting O rings) ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts