Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this forum and exited!
I have a concern, I recently bought a streetfighter v4, and i have noticed an oil leak coming from the top of the engine, between the two cylinder heads. Any suggestions? Is this normal? The engine isn’t over serviced. The second picture shows exactly where it’s coming from. It shows a combination of water and oil because i had just washed it and was in the process of drying it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup, get it back to the dealer. Its unusual for that to happen, but always a risk something hasn't been done quite right at the factory. Unlucky

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Warranty... hopefully only a valve cover gasket. I'm not a Duc v4 expert but that location means valve cover or head gasket leak on most engines. Leaking valve cover is nothing, leaking head gasket is more problematic.

If it turns out to be a head gasket and you've had the bike for less than 30 days I'd return it (different rules apply in different places regarding returning a faulty vehicle). If you've had it for 30 days to 6 months they get one chance to fix it then you can request a refund/replacement if the repair fails.

Reactions: motoman2

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've seen people report some from there, some say its a water pump issue. Most of the ones are over full on oil. These things are tough to get exact.

·
Registered
SFV4 -20
37 Posts
I've had the same leak. Nor I or the mechanics could pinpoint exactly where it came from since I was stupid enough to clean the bike thoroughly before service. They suspected that the engine was a bit overfilled and adjusted oil level.
When the snow has melted away it's time to see if it comes back. Yes, warranty is a sweet thing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, new to this forum and exited!
I have a concern, I recently bought a streetfighter v4, and i have noticed an oil leak coming from the top of the engine, between the two cylinder heads. Any suggestions? Is this normal? The engine isn’t over serviced. The second picture shows exactly where it’s coming from. It shows a combination of water and oil because i had just washed it and was in the process of drying it. View attachment 1002362 View attachment 1002361
I noticed the same on my street fighter last night and haven't been able to locate where the oil is coming from other than a tiny hold back there. Now, I personally hate my bike getting torn apart so hoping this is something minor. Please followup on this issue or resolution as I am calling Ducati to notify them. My oil level is a Lil over the line so thinking I will change the oil and make sure it is level and go from there . I am under 6 months

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the same leak. Nor I or the mechanics could pinpoint exactly where it came from since I was stupid enough to clean the bike thoroughly before service. They suspected that the engine was a bit overfilled and adjusted oil level.
When the snow has melted away it's time to see if it comes back. Yes, warranty is a sweet thing...
Can you post some updated really quickly if adjusting the oil level helped or we have a bigger problem in our hands
Hello ..any updates on what you have done to correct this issue..please let me know

·
Registered
SFV4 -20
37 Posts
Can you post some updated really quickly if adjusting the oil level helped or we have a bigger problem in our hands

Hello ..any updates on what you have done to correct this issue..please let me know
Nope, still a few weeks of wait until it's warm enough to take her out. Still about 40 F outside 🥶.

I'll update when I know anything more. And please do the same if anyone here is sorting it out.

·
Registered
SFV4 -20
37 Posts
During a 1500 miles touring trip to Germany, the small oil drip was accompanied by a large engine coolant leak from the same area. Each time I put the bike on the kick stand, a littel stream of water was pouring out from the "V" onto the ground. I filled her up at the same rate she was pouring out to get home. The workshop was replacing the waterpump as many others has done. The new pump from Ducati is slightly updated from the original one to eliminate the problem according to the mechanic.

I've only done 200 miles after replacement but she's completely dry so far. I've tried to push her with high revs, slow high temp riding in town and some long wheelies (if the different operating angle of the engine might create some problems) to try to provoke it, but it seems to hold up. Now the season is over and no more riding planned, but hopefully next season will be without the oil stain marks on the stator cover.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
During a 1500 miles touring trip to Germany, the small oil drip was accompanied by a large engine coolant leak from the same area. Each time I put the bike on the kick stand, a littel stream of water was pouring out from the "V" onto the ground. I filled her up at the same rate she was pouring out to get home. The workshop was replacing the waterpump as many others has done. The new pump from Ducati is slightly updated from the original one to eliminate the problem according to the mechanic.

I've only done 200 miles after replacement but she's completely dry so far. I've tried to push her with high revs, slow high temp riding in town and some long wheelies (if the different operating angle of the engine might create some problems) to try to provoke it, but it seems to hold up. Now the season is over and no more riding planned, but hopefully next season will be without the oil stain marks on the stator cover.
They never could get mine in, no dealer within 10 hours could get to it, i did my own flush/fill and it's been fine since. Maybe over the winter I can get her in. I got a special case number, so even if it fails out of warranty they'll fix it and related issues.

·
Registered
SFV4 -20
37 Posts
They never could get mine in, no dealer within 10 hours could get to it, i did my own flush/fill and it's been fine since. Maybe over the winter I can get her in. I got a special case number, so even if it fails out of warranty they'll fix it and related issues.
Hope you get it fixed during winter! Must be a pain to have 10h to dealers. Are you living in the desert? 😅

1 - 20 of 23 Posts