Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently working on my 2010 hyper evo, when I first got it it’s was leaking, I cleaned it and figure out it was the alternator cover. I open her up, clean off the old gasket and use the black Permatex gasket maker. It was fine the first 2 easy short rides, then when I went for a more spirited ride, leak again.

took the bike for belts and valves to a very well known ducati shop, did some more work in the starter components so they sealed the alternator cover once again using ducati gasket (threebond) then once again, the same situation... rode easy a couple of times, no leaks, then a longer spirited ride, leak coming from I believe it’s the same freaking screw... I don’t think it was a bad seal application because it’s coming from the same place

Any suggestions?.. maybe a new cover? Try again with more sealer? Could be the tread?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would check the cover for flatness next time it's off...get a very large diamond stone or equivalent and lightly go over the surface looking for highspots...or low spots for that matter...don't get too carried away with removing material and use wd40 to keep the stone from plugging up with aluminum...outside of that..give the 3bond more time to cure before filling with oil

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I don’t have easy access to a diamond stone but Definitely worth looking into.

I saw those on ebay but this one is much cheaper. Maybe I should give this a try since, at this point, it takes me more time to prep the bike and tools than taking that cover off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rode the bike for another test... looks like the leak it’s not coming from the screw, on this pic screw looks dry to me... what if I install 2 gaskets instead of one+threebond... good idea or not so much?😁

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
are you cleaning both mating surfaces?allowing proper sealant cure time? if fully torquing screws before sealant dries you maybe forcing the sealant out.from permatex;"Let set for 1 hour, then torque all fasteners to proper values dictated by the vehicle service manual."The Ten Most Common Gasketing Mistakes have used this on case covers & no leakage;

·
Registered
805 Posts
are you cleaning both mating surfaces?allowing proper sealant cure time? if fully torquing screws before sealant dries you maybe forcing the sealant out.from permatex;"Let set for 1 hour, then torque all fasteners to proper values dictated by the vehicle service manual."The Ten Most Common Gasketing Mistakes have used this on case covers & no leakage;
I was thinking something similar...don't retorque the screws after the fact...one and done...that stuff is pretty impermeable...any leak is probably human error

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
You can check flatness of the gasket surface with a sheet of glass on a flat surface like a table top. Find a large enough sheet of sandpaper or Emory cloth and move the cover around on it in a “ figure 8” pattern , then check it. It will remove the high areas, but more importantly, it will highlight low areas which aren’t clamping the gasket sufficiently. If you have an area that isn’t being touched, it won’t clamp the gasket and seal.
I guarantee the leaking area will seal if you use Mopar Transmission Sealer and leave it set overnight. That’s right, GUARANTEED !

Reactions: hypertonto

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yes, I spend a lot of time cleaning both mating surfaces with the brass brush and some rubbing alcohol. 20 hours the first time I did it to this 1100, but I can’t tell if the “pros” at the shop that sealed it last time did.
I also have an 821 wich I did 3 times myself and never leaked with the black Permatex.
Good tip on letting it set for one hour before torquing fasteners, also read the 10 most common mistakes, will do that best time, thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can check flatness of the gasket surface with a sheet of glass on a flat surface like a table top. Find a large enough sheet of sandpaper or Emory cloth and move the cover around on it in a “ figure 8” pattern , then check it. It will remove the high areas, but more importantly, it will highlight low areas which aren’t clamping the gasket sufficiently. If you have an area that isn’t being touched, it won’t clamp the gasket and seal.
I guarantee the leaking area will seal if you use Mopar Transmission Sealer and leave it set overnight. That’s right, GUARANTEED !
nice!.. my brother told me this. I just have to make sure wife not around to use the dining table as working table🤣🤣🤣

Mopar transmission sealer, “guaranteed”... love that!👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts