Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No oil comes out when riding (Dry sump?) but when stopped it pours out. Warranty??

Bolt comes through side-stand goes into sump crack goes around the bolt.

This just shows you where it is on the bike you cannot see the oil, the drips visible are not the leak it is behind the side-stand

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have you been tilting it over on the sidestand? (Say to lube the chain)

If it only leaks when the stand is down and under pressure it sort of hints that the crack is held open more in that position

·
Registered
158 Posts
No oil comes out when riding (Dry sump?) but when stopped it pours out. Warranty??
Not dry sump, crack is at the upper oil level so when the engine is running there is less oil sitting in the pan (as oil is in the pick up, pump, oil cooler etc). This is why you hardly see any oil in the sight glass when its running, once its switched off all the oil drains back down to the pan.

Bolt comes through side-stand goes into sump crack goes around the bolt.
How did this happen? wrong bolt? Bike dropped? Do you have any better pictures, can't really see any cracks/damage in the photos above.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not dry sump, crack is at the upper oil level so when the engine is running there is less oil sitting in the pan (as oil is in the pick up, pump, oil cooler etc). This is why you hardly see any oil in the sight glass when its running, once its switched off all the oil drains back down to the pan.

How did this happen? wrong bolt? Bike dropped? Do you have any better pictures, can't really see any cracks/damage in the photos above.
Not dropped never touched the bolt.

Look in the top photo there is a circular crack around the bolt with the oil coming out. Best photo i can get and shows it clearly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I see it.... It's only going to get worse with heat cycles. Good luck

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Why would a side stand be secured to the the oil sump or any part of the engine? Every bike I have owned before the Hyper has a side stand secured to the frame.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've heard that from a Ducati mechanic when I bought mine.
If you put to much stress on the kick stand, you will crack the oil pan...
It's a weak point on the hyper. It's strong enough to hold the bike period.
So no lube, no (fat) chicks, or no stress whatsoever while using the kickstand :)

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
607 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Subject change. You know with vice grips, or adjustable wrench, (its just press fit onto lever) you can change the orientation (angle) of your shift lever end (part with black rubber pad that dirties up everyones left boot.) parentheses. more parentheses.

Just saying. At the current angle in pic #2 that would bother the shit outta me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like you have a 2010 build evo sp (like me!) hopefully there is some warranty left for you, if so take it in.

If not id suggest you find a good independent bike mechanic to remove and weld the cracked area (maybe reinforce it also to prevent it happening again), this will be a lot cheaper than a whole new pan.

Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just saying. At the current angle in pic #2 that would bother the shit outta me.
At perfect angle the photo has distorted the view.

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
Did the older Ducatis HYPERS have a heavier thicker engine case ?
The NEWER ones were somewhat lighter, a Selling point (weight reduction)

A buddy showed me how to turn the bike 180 while pivioting on the side stand...
I flipped on him and showed him where the side stand was fitted to bike...

I believe it even says in the manual not to over stress the side stand...

Fill out you signature with the year and model sos we can see what year model we are talking about here...Like mangler did...
He is talking about just the end of the lever not the whole lever , just the short black rubber part attatched to the lever:)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Another good reason to invest in a rear stand, especially 2010 and up.
I wouldn't be keeping it on the side stand now,it could get to become a bigger weld repair.

·
Registered
757 Posts
A buddy showed me how to turn the bike 180 while pivioting on the side stand...
I flipped on him and showed him where the side stand was fitted to bike...

I believe it even says in the manual not to over stress the side stand...
someone did that to my bike and i flip'd on him too. yup i believe it is in the manual... for some of us that do read it cover-to-cover. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is talking about just the end of the lever not the whole lever , just the short black rubber part attatched to the lever:)
Thanks it really is flat on the top of my shoe.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why would a side stand be secured to the the oil sump or any part of the engine? Every bike I have owned before the Hyper has a side stand secured to the frame.
on the Hyper and for that matter most Duc.'s the engine is the frame, thats why there is only the trellis frame above the motor, and its there mostly to hold the seat, fuel tank, triple tree, and swing arm pivot. The motor is as much the frame as the frame is if not more so.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts